Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Marc Sturlese <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/25 23:44:23 UTC

RAM memory problems dealing with documents

Hey there,
I am having some memory trouble with my Lucene app. I need to get the info
and delete about 1000 docs every time I execute the app. I get the IDs of
the documents to delete from a database and for all single ID I get the data
from the indexed doc using an index searcher and topdocs (searching by the
ID I previously got). Once I get the info I close the index searcher and
delete the doc using indexwriter (indexwriter.deletedocuments(term)). I do
this fore every document I need to delete. The problem is than the app
starts increasing memory in use until 778Mb... and doing similar stuff like
adding documents from DB to index it stands in 150 as maximum.
I think the problem happen when i get the documents. I tryed to use the same
indexsearcher to get all the docs but nothithng changed. I try also to put
topdocs to null and the query and queryparse I use to get the doc to null
aswell but nothing changes.
Has someone experienced this problem?.
I am using lucene 2.4 but with 2.3 was the same
Sorry for my english and thanks in advanced.

Marc Sturlese

Re: RAM memory problems dealing with documents

Posted by robert engels <re...@ix.netcom.com>.
Trying running the application with -Xmx128m

You may find that it works fine.  Java will continue to allocate
memory if it needs it - it you allow it to.

It does this for performance reasons.  If the app runs in a tight
loop, this could be your problem.

If that is not the case, it is most likely that you are not closing
resources, and or holding references (usually via static vars).