Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stefan Hall <st...@gmx.de> on 2018/05/01 11:57:11 UTC

TC 8.5.27 clustering doesn't work as described(?) and expected

Hi,

I've probably read everything in the last few days and tried even more,
but it won't work. I need your experience.

First, my expectations of the Tomcat Cluster
  1. session failover when a Tomcat dies (simulated via kill -9)
  2. session failover when I close a Tomcat (via shutdown.sh or
simulated via kill)

Point 1 works, but point 2 does not work despite <Manager
className="org.apache.catalina.ha.session.DeltaManager"
expireSessionsOnShutdown="false" ...>

It seems as if all active sessions of the Tomcat are expired during the
shutdown process - in the whole cluster. This contradicts in my opinion
the parameter expireSessionsOnShutdown="false" and its explanation. I
can also set the parameter to true, no change.

Hope you can help me.
Stefan

Re: TC 8.5.27 clustering doesn't work as described(?) and expected

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 11/05/18 12:28, Mark Thomas wrote:

<snip/>

> I do see some slightly odd behaviour in that the attributes are not
> replicated for the first session created after starting up the cluster.
> I'm currently looking in to what might be going wrong there.

The session created event was being processed in time. The session
update message was arriving before the session had been created so it
was ignored. I cleaned up session creation to reduce duplicate calls and
that seems to have fixed it for me. There will always be a risk of this
happening but it should be a lot smaller now.

Mark

Re: TC 8.5.27 clustering doesn't work as described(?) and expected

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 01/05/18 12:57, Stefan Hall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've probably read everything in the last few days and tried even more,
> but it won't work. I need your experience.
>
> First, my expectations of the Tomcat Cluster
>  1. session failover when a Tomcat dies (simulated via kill -9)
>  2. session failover when I close a Tomcat (via shutdown.sh or simulated
> via kill)
>
> Point 1 works, but point 2 does not work despite <Manager
> className="org.apache.catalina.ha.session.DeltaManager"
> expireSessionsOnShutdown="false" ...>
>
> It seems as if all active sessions of the Tomcat are expired during the
> shutdown process - in the whole cluster. This contradicts in my opinion
> the parameter expireSessionsOnShutdown="false" and its explanation. I
> can also set the parameter to true, no change.

I don't see this with the cluster of VMs I used to test clustering. I'm
using 8.5.x HEAD but I'm not aware of any significant changes in this
area since 8.5.27.

I do see some slightly odd behaviour in that the attributes are not
replicated for the first session created after starting up the cluster.
I'm currently looking in to what might be going wrong there.

There are all sorts of ways in which clustering can go wrong. I think
you need to show us your cluster configuration (including the
lad-balancer you are using) and explain exactly how you are testing this.

Mark