Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Michaela Buergle <Mi...@neofonie.de> on 2008/04/10 16:54:21 UTC

Formatting the file system: Misleading hint in Wiki?

Hi all,
on http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/GettingStartedWithHadoop - it says:
"Do not format a running Hadoop filesystem, this will cause all your
data to be erased."

It seems to me however that currently you better not format a Hadoop
filesystem at all (after the first time, that is), running or not because:

"Now if the cluster starts with the reformatted name-node, and not
reformatted data-nodes the data-nodes will fail with
java.io.IOException: Incompatible namespaceIDs ..."
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-1212 + personal experience)

If I haven't missed an obvious solution to this problem, I suggest
mentioning that issue in the Wiki.

micha

Re: Formatting the file system: Misleading hint in Wiki?

Posted by Colin Freas <co...@gmail.com>.
This has been my experience as well.  This should be mentioned in the
Getting Started pages until resolved.

-colin