Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2010/07/23 19:04:39 UTC

Bootstrap Lucy Incubator podling

Greets,

Transitioning to the Incubator will be a multi-step process.

  Phase 1: Bootstrap the new Lucy Incubator podling.
  Phase 2: Proceed with an orderly shutdown of the existing Lucy subproject.
  Phase 3: Deprecate KinoSearch and migrate (later, after Lucy release).

This thread will be concerned with phase 1.  Documentation exists in multiple
places:

    http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Creation+of+Podling
    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#Set+Up+Podling
    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#bootstrap

Some tasks do not require immediate action:

  * Lucy JIRA stays as is.
  * Lucy wiki stays as is.
  * The code dump and the IP clearance should wait for now.

Some tasks, I can do:

  * Add to reporting schedule. (DONE)
  * Request mailing list transitions.
  * Contact mailing-list archival services (Markmail, Nabble, etc.) about
    transition.
  * Generate podling website content.

Other tasks have to be handled by a Mentor:

  * Ensure that all Mentors are on the IPMC.
  * Add to table: Currently in incubation.
  * Initialize Podling Status Page.
  * Move Lucy Subversion repository.
  * Authorize committers.
    o Add marvin and simonw.
    o Get new accounts set up for Peter and Nate (CLAs are on file).

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Bootstrap Lucy Incubator podling

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey All,

Just an FYI I'm lurking here now :)

Cheers,
Chris

On 7/23/10 3:59 PM, "Chris Hostetter" <ho...@fucit.org> wrote:

: I'll take care of the "Add to table" step right now
: : >    o Get new accounts set up for Peter and Nate (CLAs are on file).
:
: ...new accounts first require an email to root.  I'll take care of that
: too.

done and done ... the new accounts typically take about a week though.

-Hoss

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: Bootstrap Lucy Incubator podling

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: : >    o Get new accounts set up for Peter and Nate (CLAs are on file).
:
: ...new accounts first require an email to root.  I'll take care of that
: too.

I forgot to ask: what are your prefered usernames? (ie:
xxxxxxx@apache.org)  you can sanity check that a username isn't already
taken by checking this list...

http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html

-Hoss

Re: Bootstrap Lucy Incubator podling

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I'll take care of creating the document later today.

Cool.

: Just for the record, doesn't the PPMC include all Mentors as well?

Yep, Yep ... I missed that part.

-Hoss

Re: Bootstrap Lucy Incubator podling

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 12:50:49PM -0700, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : I think the above URL explains where we need to commit the status page
> : (seems like we just need to create incubator/site-
> : author/projects/lucy.xml then build it).  Marvin can you create this
> : XML source?  One of us can commit it.
>
> Yeah, moving forward the "PPMC" (ie: the initial committers) will be
> responsible for updating the status page, so it would probably be a good
> idea if one of them (marvin/peter/nathan or simon) created the first
> version and then one of us mentors can sanity check it and then commit it.

I'll take care of creating the document later today.

Since the mailing list doesn't take attachments, I'll open a Lucy JIRA issue
and attach it there.

Just for the record, doesn't the PPMC include all Mentors as well?

    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html

    The Podling Project Management Committee (PPMC) helps a Podling learn how to
    govern itself. It works like a PMC but reports to the Incubator PMC instead of
    to the ASF Board. Initially, it is composed of the Podling's mentors and
    initial committers.

I agree that it should be one of the initial committers updating the file,
regardless.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
(resending from the correct address -- my accounts have gotten crossed
somehow)

: >  * Add to table: Currently in incubation.
:
: This is in http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html?  Does
: anyone know the process here?  Is there an svn path that holds the
: sources for this, that's automagically pushed to production?

most of this is spelled out in the mentor doc marvin mentioned...
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#add-incubation

I'll take care of the "Add to table" step right now

: >  * Initialize Podling Status Page.
:
: I think the above URL explains where we need to commit the status page
: (seems like we just need to create incubator/site-
: author/projects/lucy.xml then build it).  Marvin can you create this
: XML source?  One of us can commit it.

Yeah, moving forward the "PPMC" (ie: the initial committers) will be
responsible for updating the status page, so it would probably be a good
idea if one of them (marvin/peter/nathan or simon) created the first
version and then one of us mentors can sanity check it and then commit it.

: >  * Authorize committers.
:
: Is this granting karma on the new svn path?  (Committing the right
: auth file somewhere....?).

it depends on wether they already have an apache account...
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#Authorize+Committers

: >    o Add marvin and simonw.
:
: Is this just the same as authorizing committers?

it's a sub bullet - marvin and simonw only need the karam to the new svn
dir...

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: >  * Move Lucy Subversion repository.
:
: What's required here -- open an INFRA issue, from a Mentor?

BTW: setting up lucy's new SVN space probably wo't require any INFRA
issues, but it needs to be done by someone on the IPMC with enough
karma...
  http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#Set+Up+Repository
  http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#who-auth-karma

...i would suggest that we start by getting an initial space setup, and
getting all the committers karma to it, and then we can move the lucy
stuff at will/whim (it's all one repos so it's trivial once you have the
karma)

-Hoss

Re: Bootstrap Lucy Incubator podling

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Thanks for summarizing our current state Marvin ;)  Comments below:

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> Greets,
>
> Transitioning to the Incubator will be a multi-step process.
>
>  Phase 1: Bootstrap the new Lucy Incubator podling.
>  Phase 2: Proceed with an orderly shutdown of the existing Lucy subproject.
>  Phase 3: Deprecate KinoSearch and migrate (later, after Lucy release).
>
> This thread will be concerned with phase 1.  Documentation exists in multiple
> places:
>
>    http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Creation+of+Podling
>    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#Set+Up+Podling
>    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#bootstrap
>
> Some tasks do not require immediate action:
>
>  * Lucy JIRA stays as is.
>  * Lucy wiki stays as is.
>  * The code dump and the IP clearance should wait for now.
>
> Some tasks, I can do:
>
>  * Add to reporting schedule. (DONE)
>  * Request mailing list transitions.
>  * Contact mailing-list archival services (Markmail, Nabble, etc.) about
>    transition.
>  * Generate podling website content.
>
> Other tasks have to be handled by a Mentor:
>
>  * Ensure that all Mentors are on the IPMC.

I confirmed that Chris Hostetter, Chris Mattmann and Upayavira are
listed under Incubator in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/committee-info.txt.
 I'm not yet listed... likely I'm still "in process".

>  * Add to table: Currently in incubation.

This is in http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html?  Does
anyone know the process here?  Is there an svn path that holds the
sources for this, that's automagically pushed to production?

This describes how to update the incubator site, and also links to
details for updating main site:

  http://incubator.apache.org/guides/website.html

>  * Initialize Podling Status Page.

I think the above URL explains where we need to commit the status page
(seems like we just need to create incubator/site-
author/projects/lucy.xml then build it).  Marvin can you create this
XML source?  One of us can commit it.

>  * Move Lucy Subversion repository.

What's required here -- open an INFRA issue, from a Mentor?

>  * Authorize committers.

Is this granting karma on the new svn path?  (Committing the right
auth file somewhere....?).

>    o Add marvin and simonw.

Is this just the same as authorizing committers?

>    o Get new accounts set up for Peter and Nate (CLAs are on file).

Is this also just opening an INFRA issue?

Mike