Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> on 2017/10/17 11:58:09 UTC

Current Status of Apache NetBeans

Hi all,

Many things going on right now and lots of progress:

- We have around 2000 files left that need to be relicensed to Apache or
handled in some way, out of 45000, really great progress.

- We're setting up GitBox (please no merges until that is complete, could
take another day or so) so that merges can also be done from GitHub. (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15271)

- One of the Apache NetBeans repos is preparing to be released, i.e., the
incubator-netbeans-html4j repo, Jaroslav Tulach has put out a call for a
Vote (see the "[VOTE] Build #19 as HTML/Java API release 1.5" thread).
Please take a look at that thread and vote! Great work has been done on
this repo and also great support from Bertrand, one of our Apache mentors.

- Thanks to Eric Barboni, Rat exceptions can now be seen as Jenkins test
failures, very useful, thanks:
https://builds.apache.org/job/incubator-netbeans-linux/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/

- YaMeter, the first application on top of Apache NetBeans (incubating),
led by Emilian, now has Google Cloud Engine Compute support:
http://yameter.com/0.2.html

- On the netbeans.org front page, for the first time, there's now text that
states NetBeans is moving to Apache and one of the items in the slider
highlights this, too.

- A request is pending for a VM for various applications useful for the
Apache NetBeans project: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15273

- The auditing of the 2nd code donation continues, inside Oracle we have
weekly meetings about this, various clusters (i.e., groups of modules) are
ready, others are in progress.

Thanks all,

Gj

Re: Current Status of Apache NetBeans

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Yes, that's an excellent new development too, many thanks Emilian, plus,
the fact that there are now over 200 people on this mailing list since the
last few days.

Now to get everyone working on the final relicensing tasks! :-)

Gj

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 2:28 PM, Michael Nascimento <mi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Geertjan,
>
> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Geertjan Wielenga <
> geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > - The auditing of the 2nd code donation continues, inside Oracle we have
> > weekly meetings about this, various clusters (i.e., groups of modules)
> are
> > ready, others are in progress.
> >

>  Could you list the clusters that are ready, even though they are not here
> yet?

At the end of this page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+Transition

> Maybe someone from the community could then propose a "smaller"
> donation than Java EE as the second batch if they're familiar with the
> clusters in question.

Java EE is ready from Oracle's side, we're including that with the donation
of several other clusters, as shown in the link above.

But to be honest I'm quite happy Java EE isn't in the Apache GitHub repo
yet, at this point, so that we can focus on what's there right now, which
is quite a lot as it is. :-)

> PS: Thank you so much for the summary, this really gives visibility to the
> progress done so far. Congrats to everyone who helped us get here!

Great to hear. Every week or so I will send out another one of these.

Thanks,

Posted by Michael Nascimento <mi...@gmail.com>.
Geertjan,

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Geertjan Wielenga <
geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:

> - The auditing of the 2nd code donation continues, inside Oracle we have
> weekly meetings about this, various clusters (i.e., groups of modules) are
> ready, others are in progress.

 Could you list the clusters that are ready, even though they are not here
yet? Maybe someone from the community could then propose a "smaller"
donation than Java EE as the second batch if they're familiar with the
clusters in question.

PS: Thank you so much for the summary, this really gives visibility to the
progress done so far. Congrats to everyone who helped us get here!

Regards,
Michael