Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Esteve Fernandez <es...@apache.org> on 2010/08/02 20:11:24 UTC

Re: 1.4.0 release soon?

Hi

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:26 AM, Jeff Hammerbacher <ha...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> I've added AVRO-588 (Avro usable and testable on Python 2.4). I'll need to
> augment the Python RPC to handle system errors correctly after AVRO-573 goes
> in, so I've filed AVRO-599 as a blocker as well. Lastly, I've been meaning
> to get to AVRO-528 (Twisted support) and AVRO-283 (change Python
> implementation from dictionaries to objects) forever, so the release seems
> as good as ever.

I'd love to see AVRO-283, actually I started putting together a patch
a while ago, but I thought it was too "magical" and wouldn't get as
chance of getting accepted, as it created classes on the fly and so
on.

How did you plan to implement it? I'd be very happy to help if I can.

Cheers.

Re: 1.4.0 release soon?

Posted by Jeff Hammerbacher <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Well, my detailed plan for now is to look at Doug's implementation on the
Java side and mimic it. Once I get it working, I'll remove the Java-isms and
make it more Pythonic.

Creating classes and dynamically adding properties seems like how things
will work; it's going to be a bit "magical". If you want to sketch out your
implementation direction further, or even get a little code down, I'll be
happy to spend a bit more time on my critique.