Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@easystreet.com> on 2003/04/21 18:56:59 UTC

Bugzilla and Tomcat

I am wondering if anyone has managed to install Bugzilla on a Linux system
using just the Jakarta Tomcat web server and not Apache. We have started
down this path, since the current version of Tomcat4.1 will execute CGI scripts,
but we seem to be running into some serious deployment issues about where to
install the various scripts and associated resources.

A specific issue we are facing is that Bugzilla seems to be dependent upon
the Apache ability to add a handler for CGI files, and those CGI files can
be deployed anywhere within a web application's directory space. Tomcat
appears to want CGI files to be located in a specific directory that is
"outside" the directly accessible web app directories. (under WEB-INF/cgi)
and requires references to associated resources such as html or image files
to be within the directly accessible web app directories. So,Tomcat does not
appear to allow a mixture of CGI and other resource files within the same
directory, which the Bugzilla deployment from its tar file expects.

 If anyone has done this, I would love to hear about your experiences and
discuss some of the issues we are facing with you further. Thanks...

   Marc Chamberlin.

Do you think the software industry will ever make software
that is as easy and reliable for a user to use
as the automobile industry makes a car easy and reliable
 for a user to drive?

Re: Bugzilla and Tomcat

Posted by "Andre E. Bar'yudin" <ba...@pob.huji.ac.il>.
I never tried such a setup and would hardly consider it, since Tomcat is really
not optimized for CGI execution.  Installing Bugzilla on Apache is very simple,
and performance is quite good, as opposed to what one would expect from
Tomcat+CGI.  In addition, under Apache you can enjoy mod_rewrite (see bugzilla
installation notes).

Regards,

Andre.

Andre E. Bar'yudin