Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Melanie Harris <ha...@yahoo.com> on 2002/04/02 21:37:27 UTC

JavaServerFaces (JSF) replacement for Struts?

Hi All,

Out on http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-03-2002/j1-02-grapevine2.html  today there is mention of the following:

JavaServer Faces
Sun Microsystems' Senior Software Engineer Roger Kitain from the JSF team outlined the one project I really hoped would release a specification and RI this week. JSF's functionality, layered on top of the JSP specification, includes change listeners on client-side widgets and a standard tag library (including a tree-view control). I'm working on a project in which such features would come in handy, so if you're listening guys, please release the RI as soon as you can!

This sounds to me like JSF might be something that would be similar to Struts with added client-side widgets.   I'd like to know what others think of JSF and if you think it might eventually become a preferred framework over struts, etc... ?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

-mel h

RE: JavaServerFaces (JSF) replacement for Struts?

Posted by Robert <rm...@bull-enterprises.com>.
It very well might be. In the demo, with dreamweaver, the linking of
events were done in the page with a wizard, but they did say that they
will support centralized management of those types of controls, like the
struts config file.

The early release should be out soon, maybe end of spring, with a 1.0
spec out by fall, according to them.

Robert

Posted by Bryan Field-Elliot <br...@netmeme.org>.
I, for one, am excited to see JSF (based upon what paltry info I have
read about it). I've done several hellishly complicated pages in JSP,
doing all kinds of crazy stuff like generating dynamic JavaScript for
the client, and invoking Struts actions (with different parameters)
depending upon what the user clicked on. It sounds like JSF is made for
building those kinds of pages (so I hope). And for it to fit well with
Struts is a bonus.

Bryan

On Tue, 2002-04-02 at 19:11, Sandeep Takhar wrote:

    I went to the BOF following this session where Craig
    McLanahan was the main speaker.

    He basically finished off by saying that we will use
    whatever we want to from JSF.  Just as there are
    pieces we use from the Servlet & JSP specification.

    He is part of the expert group and is keen on making
    the jsf framework work for whichever frameworks are
    out there and specifically struts.

    He mentioned he had a working model with Struts & JSF.

    I think that maybe there will be some releases of
    struts that incorporate JSF.  Maybe there will be some
    that take advantage of jsp 1.2 & servlet 2.3... I
    guess this is more a discussion for the dev group.

    I wouldn't count on JSF being a silver bullet.  I
    think it has a long way to go and Struts will still be
    around and just end up incorporating the new JSF
    stuff.

    Craig said it -- and it is the truth: It is up to
    us...

    Sandeep
    --- Bryan Field-Elliot <br...@netmeme.org>

Posted by Sandeep Takhar <sa...@yahoo.com>.