Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Joe Grastara <gr...@saturn.med.nyu.edu> on 2000/12/12 18:02:03 UTC

Document Contained No Data

I am trying to convert a cgi script to a mod_perl script, however when I
try to run the script I can a "Document contained no data error".  I was
wondering if there are some standard causes for this kind of error.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe Grastara
Project Assistant
Digital Media Center
The Skirball Institute Of Biomolecular Medicine
New York University Medical Center
540 First Ave., New York City, NY 10016 USA
grastara@saturn.med.nyu.edu
http://www.med.nyu.edu/graphics

Re: Document Contained No Data

Posted by Brett Paden <pa...@trimeros.com>.
The most likely cause of this error is that your script is only
sending the http headers and not any content.

That said, there are several other things that could go wrong along
the way.  For example, if your script's output ... most likely
$r->print("here is some stuff") ... is a single line of text or a
scalar that contains a single line of text, you will need to append a
single new-line character to force your client to display the output.

Also, your script might contain a logic error or an unscoped variable
that makes the content you are trying to generate undefinied.

As always check the error log for clues.  If you are sure that content
is being sent to the client there might be something more sinister at
work, and you might want to post the relevant code and error log to
the group.

Joe Grastara once wrote:

> I am trying to convert a cgi script to a mod_perl script, however when I
> try to run the script I can a "Document contained no data error".  I was
> wondering if there are some standard causes for this kind of error.
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Joe Grastara
> Project Assistant
> Digital Media Center
> The Skirball Institute Of Biomolecular Medicine
> New York University Medical Center
> 540 First Ave., New York City, NY 10016 USA
> grastara@saturn.med.nyu.edu
> http://www.med.nyu.edu/graphics

				       # Brett Paden               #
				       # http://www.trimeros.com   #