Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org> on 2017/11/01 21:53:49 UTC

[Apache Royale website] About to host static html site

Hi,

this past days we explore the wordpress.com path to host Apache Royale
website and is not valid to us due to limitations in the plans with themes
and plugins support. So we want to go a more simple way:

We want to generate a static html site from the royale.codeoscopic.com
instance and upload to our apache royale website repo that finaly will be
accessed vía royale.apache.org url.

Our main concern here is that the current html site will have some
comercial code and for this reason we agree in ask here. In concrete the
site will include code from Movedo Theme [1].

Donate a license for a site (that's what we want to do), is easy. We just
need to pay a one shot of 39$ (if we do this days since it's on sale right
now) or 59$ (if we do this more later).

So, as we are not uploading source code of movedo (that implies PHP files
based on wordpress APIs) and instead we'll be uploading the resultant
output (HTML/CSS/JS), that is equal generate by any other site using a
movedo license, I state that this should not generate any legal problem.
Any of this files will be as well available to the general public only
browsing the site and anybody could get that code due to the public nature
of the format itself. The same will happen to any other user of movedo
theme.

So our vision is that upload that generated code to our repo to be served
as royale.apache.org is not violating any license and is secure in legal
terms.

Hope someone could review the legal terms and could let us know if we are
on the right track.

Thanks in advance

[1] Movedo Theme url:
https://themeforest.net/item/movedo-we-do-move-your-world/17923709

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: [Apache Royale website] About to host static html site

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Carlos Rovira wrote on 11/2/17 5:38 PM:
> Hi,
>
> just moving and refresh this thread a little so we could get some advice
> on how to proceed.

If the Apache Royale PMC wants to request an official answer of "Can we
use this software here (URL) to build and display our website", please
open a LEGAL JIRA:

  https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/LEGAL

legal-discuss@ is for general discussion, but any specific questions or
legal review that projects need should be in a JIRA.  In particular, you
should not assume lazy consensus when asking if software under some new
license is acceptable for use in or around an Apache product.

--

- Shane
  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...just moving and refresh this thread a little so we could get some advice on
> how to proceed...

My advice is that it's much simpler to use non-commercial components
for ASF project websites.

The mechanism described at [1] allows you to use any website generator
as long as its output can go into Git.

If you want to ask for examples of what other projects are doing, best
is to ask on the dev@community.a.o list.

-Bertrand

[1] https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/git_based_websites_available

Re: [Apache Royale website] About to host static html site

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.
The commercial terms appear to be here:

https://themeforest.net/licenses/standard
https://themeforest.net/licenses/terms/regular

The license does appear to allow us to modify the acquired Work. We might
have to buy more than one copy if we ended up with multiple End Products
(is a website, and a copy of HTML from the website in a tar.gz the same
product or different?).

It seems fairly harmless, but is the kind of thing I would generally punt
on as 'not open source' and send to a lawyer. Mostly my gut would be to
avoid this as the kind of conditions it protects against aren't things that
we are going to be thinking of. For example, you can't copy a piece of the
site out and use it elsewhere. No one is going to be expecting that without
a lot of warning signs being put up.

Seems like trouble waiting to happen in a year or two.

Hen