Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by Ryan H <ry...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/24 15:11:17 UTC

Migrate NiFi 1.5 to 1.8 Error - A Blank Sensitive Properties Key Was Provided

Hi All,

We are currently in the process of upgrading from NiFi 1.5 to 1.8. After
making the binary changes and restarting the cluster (a secure cluster
setup), we are getting the following error:

ERROR [main] org.apache.nifi.encrypt.StringEncryptor *  A blank sensitive
properties key was provided Specify a unique key in nifi.properties for
nifi.sensitive.props.key
The Encrypt Config Tool in NiFi Toolkit can be used to migrate the flow to
the new key.

We are using all the same config that was in the 1.5 setup, including a
blank key for nifi.sensitive.props.key which wasn't an issue before, but
now it seems that it is. I didn't see this as a known issue in any of the
migration guides or release notes. Can anyone provide any insight on this?
Steps to remediate? Is the cause exactly what the error message says,
having a blank value for this config prop?

Cheers,

Ryan H

Re: Migrate NiFi 1.5 to 1.8 Error - A Blank Sensitive Properties Key Was Provided

Posted by Ryan H <ry...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the response. We had our log levels set to ERROR, so the real
issue was flushed out once I brought the log levels down to INFO instead to
debug. One thing that kind of puzzles me is that the item that caused the
web server to not start came thru as WARN messages instead of ERROR. There
was a missing dependency which caused the Flow Controller to not start. I
would've expected that to be an ERROR and not a WARN.

Some of the log output from nifi-app.log:

2019-01-24 17:43:35,185 WARN [main] org.apache.nifi.web.server.JettyServer
Failed to start web server... shutting down.
org.apache.nifi.web.NiFiCoreException: Unable to start Flow Controller.
        at
org.apache.nifi.web.contextlistener.ApplicationStartupContextListener.contextInitialized(ApplicationStartupContextListener.java:97)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.callContextInitialized(ContextHandler.java:953)
at org.apache.nifi.NiFi.main(NiFi.java:296)
Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error
creating bean with name 'ourMissingClass': FactoryBean threw exception on
object creation; nested exception is java.lang.ClassCastException: class
our.missing.class
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.FactoryBeanRegistrySupport.doGetObjectFromFactoryBean(FactoryBeanRegistrySupport.java:185)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.FactoryBeanRegistrySupport.getObjectFromFactoryBean(FactoryBeanRegistrySupport.java:103)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getObjectForBeanInstance(AbstractBeanFactory.java:1640)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:254)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:202)
        at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.getBean(AbstractApplicationContext.java:1086)
        at
org.apache.nifi.web.contextlistener.ApplicationStartupContextListener.contextInitialized(ApplicationStartupContextListener.java:93)
        ... 33 common frames omitted
Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: class our.missing.class
        at
org.apache.nifi.web.security.spring.LoginIdentityProviderFactoryBean.loadExtendedLoginIdentityProviderClass(LoginIdentityProviderFactoryBean.java:239)
        at
org.apache.nifi.web.security.spring.LoginIdentityProviderFactoryBean.createLoginIdentityProvider(LoginIdentityProviderFactoryBean.java:162)
        at
org.apache.nifi.web.security.spring.LoginIdentityProviderFactoryBean.getObject(LoginIdentityProviderFactoryBean.java:113)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.FactoryBeanRegistrySupport.doGetObjectFromFactoryBean(FactoryBeanRegistrySupport.java:178)
        ... 39 common frames omitted
salesforce-send-connector 2019-01-24 17:43:35,267 INFO [Thread-1]
org.apache.nifi.NiFi Initiating shutdown of Jetty web server...

All the same we got it worked out. I was just a bit confused that the above
came thru as a WARN instead of an ERROR.

Cheers,

Ryan H

Posted by Andy LoPresto <al...@apache.org>.
Ryan,

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
cool - no worries.  glad you're back on track.

Posted by Ryan H <ry...@gmail.com>.
Hey Joe,

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Ryan,