Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Webmaster DKDB <we...@dkdb.dk> on 2013/10/22 08:08:01 UTC

Explanation of message of RDNS_NONE??

Hi Guys
I'm using spamassassin to make sure that my newsletter is formatted properly when sent out, the only error I get is a message like this:

RDNS_NONE and the explanation is Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS

My headers looks like this:
To: Test User1 <te...@fribert.dk>
Subject: Invitation til Julefrokost 2013
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 01:30:06 +0200
From: Dykkerklubben Dannebroge <no...@dkdb.dk>

The only thing I can find in the headers that looks a bit off is:
	(envelope-from <bo...@dkdb.dk>)
	id 1VY2Ri-0011yZ-Dw
	for test@fribert.dk; Mon, 21 Oct 2013 01:30:06 +0200

Is it the not correctly formatted domain name above that the message refers to, or is it something else??
Does it matter? Will spamassasin mark this in real life?

Re: Explanation of message of RDNS_NONE??

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 08:08:01 +0200
Webmaster DKDB wrote:

> Hi Guys
> I'm using spamassassin to make sure that my newsletter is formatted
> properly when sent out, the only error I get is a message like this:
>
> RDNS_NONE and the explanation is Delivered to internal network by a
> host with no rDNS

It means that that the MX server didn't record the reverse dns of the
host from which it received the mail. This can be because:

- it really doesn't have rdns

- the MX server never records rds in the received header

- the internal networks isn't setup correctly so spamassassin is
  looking at the wrong header

Re: Explanation of message of RDNS_NONE??

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Tue, 22 Oct 2013, John Hardin wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Oct 2013, Dave Funk wrote:

>>>  Probably because of this. This reverse DNS is not under an existing top-
>>>  level-domain and looks very much like a normal reverse lookup (and not
>>> the
>>>  result). Have them set it to a real public hostname.
>>>
>>>  Kai
>>
>> Kai,
>> .in-addr.arpa. -is- the official top-level dns zone for reverse map data.
>
> Granted, but nobody should be setting the *forward* name of a host to
> something in the in-addr.arpa domain, which is what appears to have been done
> here.

Both Kai & I were talking about the DNS reverse-map data for that IP address,
I have no idea where you're getting "*forward* name" out of this discussion.

Any "bind" DNS admin worth their salt would recognize that "dkdb.dk.37.66.77.in-addr.arpa"
result as a clear indication of a mistake in the DNS reverse map zone data for
that IP address. If you don't believe me, google for dns reverse map zone
missing dots, and you'll find pages like:
  http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/apa/dot.html
(look at the very last example on that page for this exact type of error).

If that DNS zone file had the missing dot, it would have mapped that
77.66.37.119 adder to the hostname dkdb.dk.

So all the OP's woes were caused by a careless DNS admin at his ISP.
Checking it now, they've fixed it.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: Explanation of message of RDNS_NONE??

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 22 Oct 2013, Dave Funk wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Oct 2013, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>
>>  Webmaster DKDB wrote on Tue, 22 Oct 2013 08:08:01 +0200:
>>
>> >  dkdb.dk.37.66.77.in-addr.arpa
>>
>>  Probably because of this. This reverse DNS is not under an existing top-
>>  level-domain and looks very much like a normal reverse lookup (and not the
>>  result). Have them set it to a real public hostname.
>>
>>  Kai
>
> Kai,
> .in-addr.arpa. -is- the official top-level dns zone for reverse map data.

Granted, but nobody should be setting the *forward* name of a host to
something in the in-addr.arpa domain, which is what appears to have been
done here.

   Gun Control is nothing more than an attempt to return to feudalism,
   where the peasants are helpless and must humbly petition their lord
   and master to protect them from bandits and thieves (when they can
   get around to it), and where the lords and masters can abuse the
   peasants whenever they like without fear of effective resistance.
  509 days since the first successful private support mission to ISS (SpaceX)

Re: Explanation of message of RDNS_NONE??

Posted by Dave Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Tue, 22 Oct 2013, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> Webmaster DKDB wrote on Tue, 22 Oct 2013 08:08:01 +0200:
>
>> dkdb.dk.37.66.77.in-addr.arpa
>
> Probably because of this. This reverse DNS is not under an existing top-
> level-domain and looks very much like a normal reverse lookup (and not the
> result). Have them set it to a real public hostname.
>
> Kai

Kai,
.in-addr.arpa. -is- the official top-level dns zone for reverse map data.

Webmaster,
That's because the reverse-map entry for 119 in the 37.66.77.in-addr-arpa
zone file is missing a period at its end. That's a DNS admin error.

send email to hostmaster@ngdc.net and ask them to fix that.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: Explanation of message of RDNS_NONE??

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.