Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM> on 2013/07/18 06:33:20 UTC

Free Rackspace Cloud Account for Stratos

Hi All,

Everett from the jclouds team again. You're probably not aware but I'm a Developer Advocate for Rackspace in addition to being a committer on Apache jclouds.

Anyway, we have a program here at Rackspace that gives OSS projects a free Rackspace Cloud account for development and testing of their project on our cloud. So I would very much like to extend this offer to the Stratos project. Naturally jclouds already has such an account. ;) I think you've got a great project with some great open source potential at Apache and I'd like to help by giving you these resources.

In the interests of transparency, we would have some modest asks in exchange:

1: You say thanks to Rackspace somewhere on your site.
1.1: Preferably add our logo in that thanks.
2: Blog about your experiences/usages with the service and send us the URL.

If this is something the Stratos project would like, identify a point of contact for us and we'll take things from there.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,
Everett

Developer Advocate
Developer Relations Group
Rackspace, the open cloud company

P.S. This program is by invite only right now and this offer is only valid for Stratos.

Re: Free Rackspace Cloud Account for Stratos

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Everett,

As you request I have sent a mail to Jesse Noller with the information. (I
copied you also) . I haven't heard back.  I am trying to understand what is
the next step. Can you please help on this. We are going to do the first
apache release and great if we can get the account for do testing.

thanks

>>> http://apt.mopidy.com/

>>> http://taskwarrior.org/news/172

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
You can use what you need. There are no restrictions on the account. All we ask is that you use it responsibly (e.g. delete resources that aren't in use). :)

Everett

On Aug 2, 2013, at 10:52 PM, Lakmal Warusawithana wrote:

Hi Everett,

One last question? What resource we can get? For run Stratos (all 4 products, Cloud Controller, Load Balancer, Stratos Controller and Stratos Agent) need to have at least one 8 GB (16 GB recommend) Linux server. For test IaaS ( in this case Rackspace ) specific scaling (spin out PHP, MySQL, Tomcat ...etc Cartridges) recommend 4 instances (Linux) with minimum 512 MB ( 1 GB recommend ) RAM.

thanks

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 5:46 AM, Everett Toews <ev...@rackspace.com>> wrote:
Great!

The next step for you is for someone from Stratos to sign up for a Rackspace account [1] and email the account name and number (found in the top right corner of the Cloud Control panel [2]) to Jesse Noller <je...@rackspace.com>> along with links to the stuff I mentioned in my original email.

Cheers,
Everett

[1] https://cart.rackspace.com<https://cart.rackspace.com/>
[2] https://mycloud.rackspace.com<https://mycloud.rackspace.com/>

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Everett Toews <ev...@rackspace.com>> wrote:
[...]

Mobile : +94714289692<tel:%2B94714289692>

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Everett,

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Everett,

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Everett,

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Everett,

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Everett Toews <everett.toews@rackspace.com

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 6:33 AM, Everett Toews
<ev...@rackspace.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Everett from the jclouds team again. You're probably not aware but I'm a
> Developer Advocate for Rackspace in addition to being a committer on Apache
> jclouds.
>
> Anyway, we have a program here at Rackspace that gives OSS projects a free
> Rackspace Cloud account for development and testing of their project on our
> cloud. So I would very much like to extend this offer to the Stratos
> project. Naturally jclouds already has such an account. ;) I think you've
> got a great project with some great open source potential at Apache and I'd
> like to help by giving you these resources.

This is great! Thanks Everett.. Now a member in the community can start to
write a Rackspace IaaS implementation for Apache Stratos :)

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal

C.S.Nirmal J. Fernando
Senior Software Engineer,
WSO2 Inc.

Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/

Re: Free Rackspace Cloud Account for Stratos

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
On Jul 18, 2013, at 12:03 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> Hey Everett this is awesome .. thanks :-).
>
> I'm personally +1 for your conditions - I guess this needs to be discussed in the PMC list and accepted for formalities sake.
>
> BTW is this an OpenStack cloud?

This is indeed an OpenStack cloud. However, the Rackspace Cloud was around before OpenStack so it's not a 1-to-1 mapping. Existing services will eventually be converted and new services are all OpenStack. Sooner or later, everything will be covered by jclouds for OpenStack/Rackspace though.

> Can u be precise about how many nodes we'll be getting?

There's no hard limit but we'd appreciate it if you used the resources responsibility and delete any resources after you're done with them. You can always spin up more later.

> Will multiple developers be able to use it or will have to coordinate use of the account?

You'll have to coordinate use of the account. We have some features coming down the road that might make this easier but for now, coordination will be necessary.

Everett

Re: Free Rackspace Cloud Account for Stratos

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@wso2.com>.
Hey Everett this is awesome .. thanks :-).

I'm personally +1 for your conditions - I guess this needs to be discussed
in the PMC list and accepted for formalities sake.

BTW is this an OpenStack cloud? Can u be precise about how many nodes we'll
be getting? Will multiple developers be able to use it or will have to
coordinate use of the account?

Thanks!

Sanjiva.

--