Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Gary Grobe <ga...@grobe.net> on 2002/10/17 08:02:57 UTC

docbook to pdf

I've been creating .pdf files by creating html files from docbook and
then importing them into adobe acrobat to create the pdf's. The problem
is that the 'prev' and 'next' links at the bottom end up on separate
pages and page space is partially wasted, etc ... So creating pdf's
from the html doesn't seem to be so good.

I just found out about FOP and seem to have it running. My docbook
files all use the *.sgml extension. I have a main docbook file which is
a set with chapter entities in separate files.

So when using FOP, the most successful command I've been able to come
up with is ...

---

$ fop.sh acais.sgml acais.pdf

[INFO] 1.0dev
[Fatal Error] acais.sgml:1:61: The system identifier must begin with
either a single or double quote character.
The system identifier must begin with either a single or double quote
character.
Turn on debugging for more information

---

I didn't understand the above error because my docbook pages compile
fine.

Any help much appreciated.

Re: docbook to pdf

Posted by Xavier Renard <Xa...@ulg.ac.be>.
Oleg Tkachenko wrote:

> Gary Grobe wrote:
>
>> $ fop.sh acais.sgml acais.pdf >
>> [INFO] 1.0dev
>> [Fatal Error] acais.sgml:1:61: The system identifier must begin with
>> either a single or double quote character.
>> The system identifier must begin with either a single or double quote
>> character.
>

> Oh boy, you seems to get lost in it, fop is xsl-fo formatting engine
> and is not supposed to format any arbitrary xml or sgml documents.
> Look at docbook publishing model picture:
> http://docbook.org/wiki/moin.cgi/DocBookXsltPublishingModelDiagram.
> Actually that's xslt publishing model and you probably need dsssl one
> as you have sgml sources, so you'd better ask on docbook-apps mailing
> list.

You can also follow these links.It might help you
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/
http://nwalsh.com/
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/

Documentation: