Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch> on 2002/10/10 14:15:42 UTC

RTF or not RTF? (was: New Developer Suggestion)

Hi Marcelo,

On Thursday 10 October 2002 14:07, jaccoud@petrobras.com.br wrote:
> RTF is not intended to provide full rendering capabilities, it is
> in scope somewhere between docbook and FO. It mixes style and content,
> the illness for which stylesheets where designed.
>. . .

Sure, I don't know anyone who likes RTF as a format, it is badly specified
and has many shortcomings. But so is life sometimes ;-)

The aim is to be able to produce *editable* documents from FOP, semi-finished
documents that can be reviewed and possibly modified. Although many would
prefere to use another format, it is a fact that RTF is widely used today for
this task.

This has been discussed many times on this list already, please have a look
at the archives for more precise info.

-Bertrand