Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by James Sirota <js...@hortonworks.com> on 2016/04/11 00:29:57 UTC

[DISCUSS] Multitenancy for Metron

Hi Guys,

As a community we probably need to tackle the question of how we handle multi tenancy with Metron and John is already starting to ask the right questions.  I wanted to open this up for a community discussion.  What does multi tenancy mean to you and ideally how would you like Metron to address this feature?  I filed METRON-105 to capture the proposed architecture and features that come out of this discussion thread.

Thanks,
James

Re: [DISCUSS] Multitenancy for Metron

Posted by James Sirota <js...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Jon,

Metron addresses pulling information into a common db with a concept of enrichment.  Think of it like pivot tables in excel.  We have the data loaders project which is an extensible framework dedicated to staging various sources of data into Hbase.  We also support polling and bulk loading the data to keep it current as well as aging it out.  Conceptually to meet the use case you are talking about you would setup a user enrichment (data from LDAP), hosts enrichment (data from asset db)., etc., and enrich the messages in real time with this information.  So you get a running 360 degree view of your data as it’s streaming through your system.  We do this for a variety of reasons (mainly ML), but you can benefit from this feature by having everything enriched in-line.  This way you don’t have to pull your data into a SQL DB and run joins over it.  Everything is already done for you in real time.  Further more, you get the advantage of real time because IPs tend to change with time, users log on and off systems, etc., so you want to capture this information as the event is occurring to maximize the accuracy.  This is what Metron gives you.

Thanks,
James

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.

--