Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2012/03/18 19:12:00 UTC

[UPDATE SERVICE] (was Re: proposal for temporary solution until AOO 3.4 is released.)

There are several things that make me nervous about this idea.

 1. User Agent strings are not assured to be reliable. And the update site has to be carefully protected against itself being attacked with bogus HTTP requests.

 2. Ideally, a build identifies a unique web location that is specific to that build or build set (e.g., developer previews for a forthcoming release might use a single one).  My preference is for static pages, just to make life not so complicated.  My SERIOUS PREFERENCE is that an information-available not be silent but be by launching the default browser if checks are enabled.  The AOO desktop software should, when checking is enabled or requested, do as little as possible before relying on the browser.  If there is a way to differentiate "nothing-new" from "there is information" in HTTP response headers, with the browser launched for "there is information", that would be handy.

 3. What's nice about (2) is that when a replacement/update is installed, so is the URL to use to check for further updates/announcements.

 4. The web site can be updated to reflect changes over time without much fuss beyond reasonable care.

 5. There does need to be information from the user agent built into AOO with regard to current language settings.  The response mechanism should allow for text information as well as instructions on what to do to get an update.  (Using the default browser presumably deals with this case.)

 6. There needs to be a way to disable automatic checking for updates and allowing explicit check for updates from the Help and/or About information.  (That may be true already, I am reciting from principle here.)  The setting of this might be part of a first-run dialog when there is no user configuration that specifies a preference.

BIGGER WORRIES

This increases the threat surface against an user's installed copy of AOO.  It also creates problems that repackagings and derivative builds are at risk of not updating this information reliably or simply passing off the update responsibility to Apache OpenOffice.  A bigger concern is creation of a bogus update location in a derivative that is designed for malicious purposes.

The threat surface carries increased possibility of phishing the user as well as downloading malware, especially if the user is operating their AOO (or look-alike) at too-high levels of privilege.  Also, auto-checking on startup has unwelcome performance problems when the network is unavailable or very slow.

It is not clear to me what can be done to make this a trustworthy arrangement and also secure confidence of users that they are in control and nothing fishy will happen.

So far, my role model for this (apart from Microsoft Update, which is probably an unreachable level for us and probably undesirable as well) is what TortoiseSVN does in letting me know there is an update and where to go to find out about it.  It is especially important that an open-source product have some simple but reliable way of keeping the user in control and without adding to attack surface and concerns about anonymous risk.  (In that respect, Skype, Second Life, Java, and Adobe updaters are too inflexible and also intrusive.  I notice that family members I observe always cancel those pop-up notices and go about their business.)  I assume that Linux distros that bundle an AOO build will also have their own way of vetting and offering updates, but installs of AOO-built binary releases will bypass that.

Unfortunately, I don't have a better picture of a clean way to mitigate the risks associated with automatic, on-line update checking.

Let's talk about what can be done.

 - Dennis

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi

On 19.03.2012 00:57, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <de...@acm.org>  wrote:
>> There are several things that make me nervous about this idea.
>>

> <snip>
>
> Can someone say how long the current product update approach has been
> in use in OpenOffice.org and whether any of the things that make
> Dennis nervous have been an issue in this time?
>
> If the existing approach is known to have worked for several releases,
> without problems, then I propose we continue its use in AOO 3.4 but
> consider enhancements for 4.0.

I have an OOo 2.2 installed on my system and it already has the update service.

Rob, I am sure you know the date, when OOo 2.2 had been released - I do not have
the date at hand. It must be around 2003 or 2004.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] (was Re: proposal for temporary solution until AOO 3.4 is released.)

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
<de...@acm.org> wrote:
> There are several things that make me nervous about this idea.

<snip>

Can someone say how long the current product update approach has been
in use in OpenOffice.org and whether any of the things that make
Dennis nervous have been an issue in this time?

If the existing approach is known to have worked for several releases,
without problems, then I propose we continue its use in AOO 3.4 but
consider enhancements for 4.0.

-Rob

Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] (was Re: proposal for temporary solution until AOO 3.4 is released.)

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Dennis

On 18.03.2012 19:12, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> There are several things that make me nervous about this idea.
>
> 1. User Agent strings are not assured to be reliable. And the update site has
> to be carefully protected against itself being attacked with bogus HTTP
> requests.

Yes, web service must be secure.
I assume that the Apache server fullfill these needs.

> 2. Ideally, a build identifies a unique web location that is specific to that
> build or build set (e.g., developer previews for a forthcoming release might
> use a single one).  My preference is for static pages, just to make life not
> so complicated.  My SERIOUS PREFERENCE is that an information-available not
> be silent but be by launching the default browser if checks are enabled.  The
> AOO desktop software should, when checking is enabled or requested, do as
> little as possible before relying on the browser.  If there is a way to
> differentiate "nothing-new" from "there is information" in HTTP response
> headers, with the browser launched for "there is information", that would be
> handy.

No browser is launched by the update service automatically.

The update service analyses the XML response and provides certain information to
the user inside the office.
If the analysis reveals that an update is available and an download website is
given, the user can hit a button to open with link in her/his browser.
If the analysis reveals that an update is available and an download link is
given, the user can trigger the download by hitting a button.
The user can specify, if the check for updates is performed automatically - see
Menu Tools - Options - Online Update. Here the user can also decide the download
the update automatically.

Best regards, Oliver.

.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Hi Kay,

The creation of a "nothing to see here, please move along case" for now is no particular problem.

That should be done.  It will help get around problems of folks having to wait for time-outs before their copy of OpenOffice starts.

My main concern has to do with whatever is done when there are updates to report.  Also, having an XML response is not necessarily the cleanest thing to do -- the browser can't be used to display anything intelligible to the user.  That's why I think this needs to be thought through to ensure a solid use case with appropriate failure modes and minimum attack surface.

 - Dennis

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.