Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2014/01/08 02:52:51 UTC

Reminder: List Conduct Guidelines

Andrea suggested that we post a link to this in the footer of each
message.  That is something we can do, but for now I'd like to remind
us all of it:

http://openoffice.apache.org/list-conduct.html

Remember, no one has a right to post on this list.  It is a privilege.
 To the extent any person's or persons' conduct becomes disruptive of
the purpose of this list (supporting users of Apache OpenOffice) this
privilege can be revoked.

This is an administrative note.  It does not require a response.

Regards,

-Rob
Apache OpenOffice Project Management Committee & Mailing List Moderator

Re: Reminder: List Conduct Guidelines

Posted by Michael Adams <li...@clear.net.nz>.
On 8/01/2014 4:55 p.m., Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 11:26 PM, Carmen Putrino <ca...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I can't get myself off this list.  I want out!  You are fucking driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!
> It never cease to amaze me how people subscribe to a mailing list then
> proceed to feel outraged to see that their inboxes are filled with
> messages from total strangers, discussing some subject that is the
> topic of such mailing list.
>
> Out of curiosity, I'd like to know:
>
> - Is it because they don't know what joining a mailing list implies?
> (ie receiving lots of emails, until you unsubscribe)
In my experience this is it. They feel they are signing to an available
help system on demand when they request it. They are not prepared for
all the additional lovey-dovey emails that you can get here, from
Think's complaints to Rob's sarcasm. Neither are they prepared to
receive emails from others with newbie issues. I've never been a fan of
Forums, they are a pull option. But Forums are an alternative that do
find a lot of favour nowadays. I've come round to the idea both should
exist after initially not liking the idea at all.
> -Or is it because some supernatural power forced them join a mailing
> list they know nothing about? (it certainly feels that way, by reading
> some "get me off this list" replies. One has to wonder who subscribed
> them in the first place...).
I believe that is why the option to send questions to the list without
subscribing existed in the first place.
> Just curious...
> FC
> PS: Rob, perhaps renaming "mail list" to "discussion list" at this page
> http://www.openoffice.org/support/index.html#community-support
> can provide a better idea of what joining a mailing list implies?. And
> perhaps a paragraph describing what a "discussion list" is about could
> be copied from here?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_mailing_list#Discussion_list
>
> Just an idea...
There is a separate discuss list in most OS communities.

--
Michael Adams

Re: Reminder: List Conduct Guidelines

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 11:26 PM, Carmen Putrino <ca...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I can't get myself off this list.  I want out!  You are fucking driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!

It never cease to amaze me how people subscribe to a mailing list then
proceed to feel outraged to see that their inboxes are filled with
messages from total strangers, discussing some subject that is the
topic of such mailing list.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know:

- Is it because they don't know what joining a mailing list implies?
(ie receiving lots of emails, until you unsubscribe)
-Or is it because some supernatural power forced them join a mailing
list they know nothing about? (it certainly feels that way, by reading
some "get me off this list" replies. One has to wonder who subscribed
them in the first place...).

Just curious...
FC
PS: Rob, perhaps renaming "mail list" to "discussion list" at this page
http://www.openoffice.org/support/index.html#community-support
can provide a better idea of what joining a mailing list implies?. And
perhaps a paragraph describing what a "discussion list" is about could
be copied from here?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_mailing_list#Discussion_list

Just an idea...
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: Reminder: List Conduct Guidelines

Posted by Peggy Burruss <pb...@aol.com>.

Posted by Robert Holtzman <ho...@cox.net>.

Posted by Richard Driscoll <ri...@icloud.com>.
I have in subscribed twice in the last week without effect. Please remove my email address from the list. I am no longer using the software.
Richard.driscoll2@icloud.com
Thank you
Richard

Richard Driscoll
Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Grant Hayes <tr...@trollaxor.com>.
I just joined this list and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in
the level of discourse here. I've heard more about people's
interpersonal problems and list policy than I have about the software
itself.

Can we please get back on topic here, folks?

Grant Hayes
*Trollaxor.com*
http://www,trollaxor.com/

Re: Reminder: List Conduct Guidelines