Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by er...@firedragon.com on 2002/09/24 19:16:39 UTC

[users@httpd] Could someone tell me what might be going on.

I have a web server set up, and every night the httpd server is
connecting to remote IP's on port 80. I have recieved a fiew nasty-grams
from some site admins about port scanning.

I have made shure that all the info about proxy'ing is commented out of
the httpd.conf, but for some reason it's still happening. I want to
understand if this is a bug, or it's a problem with my configureation.

I'm using apache 1.3.27 (stock Apache from redhat 7.3)

A responce would be REALLY APPRECIATED! Even "did you check"'s!

Eric Petersen

[users@httpd] Re: secure your network! - Could someone tell me what might be going on.

Posted by "i.t" <i....@ithum.de>.
> msg Dienstag, 24. September 2002 19:41 by Dirk-Willem van Gulik:
> > Check your logs - unless you are hacked - apache will log what
> > happens in the access log.
>
> he's hacked - used as a zombie for ip address spoofing.
> see
> http://www.insecure.org/nmap/idlescan.html

SECURE your server and network!
immediately close ftp and telnet (and make it secure - ssl tunneling), close
login and 514, too.
Find out other ways for users - e.g. DAV - for an upload of user's file to the
server,
and so on...

Interesting ports on firedragon.com (209.161.2.50):
(The 1587 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
21/tcp     open        ftp
22/tcp     open        ssh
23/tcp     open        telnet
25/tcp     open        smtp
52/tcp     open        xns-time
53/tcp     open        domain
80/tcp     open        http
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
139/tcp    open        netbios-ssn
443/tcp    open        https
513/tcp    open        login
514/tcp    open        shell
6969/tcp   open        acmsoda
32771/tcp  open        sometimes-rpc5
Remote operating system guess: Linux Kernel 2.4.0 - 2.5.20
Uptime 0.024 days (since Tue Sep 24 19:43:49 2002)

--
 . ___
 |  |  Irmund     Thum
 |  |

Re: [users@httpd] Could someone tell me what might be going on.

Posted by "i.t" <i....@ithum.de>.
msg Dienstag, 24. September 2002 19:41 by Dirk-Willem van Gulik:
> Check your logs - unless you are hacked - apache will log what
> happens in the access log.

he's hacked - used as a zombie for ip address spoofing.
see
http://www.insecure.org/nmap/idlescan.html
--
 . ___
 |  |  Irmund     Thum
 |  |

Re: [users@httpd] Could someone tell me what might be going on.

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
Check your logs - unless you are hacked - apache will log what
happens in the access log.

Remove any proxy statements.

Use lsof, tcpdump or netstat to see what is talking on port 80.

Dw.