Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/18 14:42:46 UTC

Tomcat 8.5.16 - APR version mismatch error upon startup

Hello,

We have recently upgraded our tomcat from 8.0.29 to 8.5.16. As part of
standard upgrade we have cleaned up all our bin/conf/lib folder contents
and removed any older jars (e.g. ecj jars).

Upon startup - we are getting the following error:

Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 5005

Jul 18, 2017 5:53:14 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init

SEVERE: An incompatible version [1.1.33] of the APR based Apache Tomcat
Native library is installed, while Tomcat requires version [1.2.6]

Jul 18, 2017 5:53:14 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init

SEVERE: An incompatible version [1.1.33] of the APR based Apache Tomcat
Native library is installed, while Tomcat requires version [1.2.6]

Jul 18, 2017 5:53:14 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init

SEVERE: An incompatible version [1.1.33] of the APR based Apache Tomcat
Native library is installed, while Tomcat requires version [1.2.6]

Jul 18, 2017 5:53:14 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init

SEVERE: An incompatible version [1.1.33] of the APR based Apache Tomcat
Native library is installed, while Tomcat requires version [1.2.6]

Jul 18, 2017 5:53:14 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init

SEVERE: An incompatible version [1.1.33] of the APR based Apache Tomcat
Native library is installed, while Tomcat requires version [1.2.6]

Jul 18, 2017 5:53:15 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init

SEVERE: An incompatible version [1.1.33] of the APR based Apache Tomcat
Native library is installed, while Tomcat requires version [1.2.6]

Jul 18, 2017 5:53:15 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService
initInternal

SEVERE: Failed to initialize connector
[Connector[org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol-80]]

org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to initialize component
[Connector[org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol-80]]

        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.init(LifecycleBase.java:112)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initInternal(StandardService.java:549)

        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.init(LifecycleBase.java:107)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initInternal(StandardServer.java:875)

        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.init(LifecycleBase.java:107)

        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:607)

        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:630)

        at

        at

        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.load(Bootstrap.java:311)

        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:494)

Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: The configured protocol
[org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol] requires the APR/native
library which is not available

        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.initInternal(Connector.java:981)

        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.init(LifecycleBase.java:107)

        ... 12 more

Jul 18, 2017 5:53:15 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init

SEVERE: An incompatible version [1.1.33] of the APR based Apache Tomcat
Native library is installed, while Tomcat requires version [1.2.6]

We copied and pasted the tcnative-1.dll into JDK ext folder and the problem
seems to have gone away. But in the past with all the tomcats, we never had
to do it. Is this something new we have to take care of?

We also tried running tomcat standalone by downloading it from apache sites
and they work fine - is this some new classpath settings we need to do?

Any suggestions ?

KR,

Re: Tomcat 8.5.16 - APR version mismatch error upon startup

Posted by "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Konstantin

1) Our %CATALINA_HOME% and %CATALINA_BASE% are both pointing to the root of
the binary folder - as described by the Reading.txt
2) We have never set anything for java.library.path - and it has always
worked because %CATALINA_HOME%\bin is part of the search path.

Our application doesn't have any other duplicate tcnative-1.dll but I will
keep checking.

KR,

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/07/17 15:42, M. Manna wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have recently upgraded our tomcat from 8.0.29 to 8.5.16. As part of
> standard upgrade we have cleaned up all our bin/conf/lib folder contents
> and removed any older jars (e.g. ecj jars).

That sounds like you have been installing new versions on top of old
ones. That is probably the cause of the behaviour you have seen.

<snip/>

> We copied and pasted the tcnative-1.dll into JDK ext folder and the problem
> seems to have gone away. But in the past with all the tomcats, we never had
> to do it. Is this something new we have to take care of?

That should not have been necessary. It sounds like you had an old
version of the library somewhere on the path.

> We also tried running tomcat standalone by downloading it from apache sites
> and they work fine - is this some new classpath settings we need to do?
>

> Any suggestions ?

Review your upgrade process and adjust as necessary. Take a look at the
information on separating CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE in RUNNING.txt
- that might give you some ideas.

Mark