Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Gálos András <ga...@netinform.hu> on 2003/11/10 14:09:37 UTC

Contribution in the translation of the error pages

Dear apache-fans,

I'm not sure I'm writing to the best place about contribution in the
documentation of the apache http server. Please point me to the right
direction if I'm not.

I've just dowloaded and installed Apache2 again and found the
internationalizable error pages again in 10 languages. Unfortunately my own
language is not among the supported ones, therefore I'd like to apply for
translating the error pages to my language, which is Hungarian.

I don't have anough resources to contribute in the translation of the whole
documentation, but I could shoulder shuch a small piece as the translation
of the error messages.

Please let me know if you accept my contribution or either if you don't.

And thank you all for your work on creating and developing such a great
thing as the apache web server.

Best regards,
Andras Galos
Budapest/Hungary

Re: Contribution in the translation of the error pages

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>.
At 07:09 AM 11/10/2003, Andras Galos wrote:
>Dear apache-fans,
>
>I'm not sure I'm writing to the best place about contribution in the
>documentation of the apache http server.

You found the best place :)

>I've just dowloaded and installed Apache2 again and found the
>internationalizable error pages again in 10 languages. Unfortunately my own
>language is not among the supported ones, therefore I'd like to apply for
>translating the error pages to my language, which is Hungarian.

We (and your fellow Hungarian users) would very much appreciate this.
Preferably please submit a diff -u3 of the files.  If you can't prepare one, though,
I'm sure we can accommodate to change your submission into a diff.

However, we do require a second set of eyes on this list to provide feedback
on the translation.  Even some of the best supported languages end up with
very positive feedback and changes before one individual's contribution ends
up as part of our error messages and documentation.

Question 1) to the list, is anyone here proficient in Hungarian?  If not,
Andras, it would help if you could invite another fellow Hungarian user
to participate in the process.  Invite one even if we already have such
a user, the more eyes the better.

The rule stems from a rather simple flaw in one of our "It Worked!" pages
that was rather ridiculous to native readers.

>I don't have anough resources to contribute in the translation of the whole
>documentation, but I could shoulder shuch a small piece as the translation
>of the error messages.

Any contribution, large or small, is always welcome :)  Thanks for your offer,

Bill