Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Matthieu Baechler <ma...@apache.org> on 2019/10/24 14:43:18 UTC

[Vote] migration to java 11

Hi,

I would like to propose the migration to Java 11 as a runtime.

I opened an ADR here: https://github.com/apache/james-project/pull/174

Here is the content of this ADR:

# 9. Migration to Java Runtime Environment 11

Date: 2019-10-24

## Status

Proposed

## Context

Java 11 is the only "Long Term Support" java release right now so more
and more people will use it exclusively.

James is known to build with Java Compiler 11 for some weeks.

## Decision

We adopt Java Runtime Environment 11 for James as a runtime to benefits
from a supported runtime and new features
of the languages and the platform.

## Consequences

* It requires the upgrade of Spring to 4.3.x.
* All docker images should be updated to adoptopenjdk 11.
* The documentation should be updated accordingly.

Voting rules:

I do propose a vote to ensure consensus on it:
 - Answer this mail with "+1" to support this decision
 - Answer this mail with "-1" if you reject this decision

Negative votes should be motivated. Voting ends on 31th October 2019
8am UTC.

Cheers,

--
Matthieu Baechler

Re: [Vote] migration to java 11

Posted by Rene Cordier <rc...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: [Vote] migration to java 11

Posted by Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [Vote] migration to java 11

Posted by Jean Helou <je...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [Vote] migration to java 11

Posted by Matthieu Baechler <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi dear users,

This decision could interest you: in short, I propose a migration to
Java 11 as a runtime.

Feel free to give your feedback.

On Thu, 2019-10-24 at 16:43 +0200, Matthieu Baechler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose the migration to Java 11 as a runtime.
>
> I opened an ADR here:
> https://github.com/apache/james-project/pull/174
>
> Here is the content of this ADR:

> # 9. Migration to Java Runtime Environment 11
>
> Date: 2019-10-24
>
> ## Status
>
> Proposed
>
> ## Context
>
> Java 11 is the only "Long Term Support" java release right now so
> more
> and more people will use it exclusively.
>
> James is known to build with Java Compiler 11 for some weeks.
>
> ## Decision
>
> We adopt Java Runtime Environment 11 for James as a runtime to
> benefits
> from a supported runtime and new features
> of the languages and the platform.
>
> ## Consequences
>
> * It requires the upgrade of Spring to 4.3.x.
> * All docker images should be updated to adoptopenjdk 11.
> * The documentation should be updated accordingly.

> Voting rules:
>
> I do propose a vote to ensure consensus on it:
>  - Answer this mail with "+1" to support this decision
>  - Answer this mail with "-1" if you reject this decision
>
> Negative votes should be motivated. Voting ends on 31th October 2019
> 8am UTC.

Cheers,

--
Matthieu Baechler

Re: [Vote] migration to java 11

Posted by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org>.
On 26/10/2019 09:27, Garry Hurley wrote:
> -1
>
> While I agree it is good to support Java 11, forcing a move to Java 11 will
> hamstring some users of James.  First of all, government agencies are slow
> to adopt new versions, mainly because they have few actual employees
> well-versed enough to know what enhancements the new versions of Java would
> do.  Additionally, they have other legacy applications which require older
> versions of Java to run, often on the same machine as their James server.

Running different applications with different versions of Java does not
seem an issue to me.

> That being said, I do think moving to Java 11 is a good strategy, but
> keeping compatibility with Java 8 is essential for now.  I would ensure
> that you compile to Java 8 standards in order to help wider adoption.

That could be a solution to me. We could let the time between to
releases for people to adapt.

> Please do not recompile older binaries into Java 11, as some of us have to
> jump through sixteen flaming hoops in gasoline-soaked coveralls in order to
> get approval to get a version of James installed, let alone get Java
> upgraded to a proper version.

That won't happen.

Also keep in mind that Apache delivers code, binaries are just here for
convenience. (old release code will be unchanged anyway, and you will be
able to recompile to JRE 8)

> Also, the packages of Java that have been
> bundled with and which have patches in different versions of Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux and SuSE Linux Enterprise Server are not just able to
> install the latest and greatest Linux.

Getting a JRE that is still maintained looks like a big deal to me, I
believe such governement agencies would feel the same. And maybe it's
not packaged out of the box but you should still be able to install a
JRE 11 on such old machines.

Re: [Vote] migration to java 11

Posted by Garry Hurley <ga...@gmail.com>.
-1

[...]
upgraded to a proper version.  Also, the packages of Java that have been

Re: [Vote] migration to java 11

Posted by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org>.
+1

Thanks for the proposal.

Re: [Vote] migration to java 11

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@gocloud.it>.
+1

___________________________

Ing. Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini

Liquidatore - GoCloud S.r.l

Sede legale: Via Larga 15, 20122 Milano (MI)

Cel. +39-3939837493

fax: +39-02-25514302

<vi...@gocloud.eu>

https://google.com/+VincenzoGianferrariPiniGoCloud

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vgianferrari

http://www.gocloud.eu

Il Ven 25 Ott 2019, 08:38 Antoine Duprat <ad...@apache.org> ha scritto:

> +1
>
> Le jeu. 24 oct. 2019 à 16:43, Matthieu Baechler <ma...@apache.org> a
> écrit :
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to propose the migration to Java 11 as a runtime.
> >
> > I opened an ADR here: https://github.com/apache/james-project/pull/174
> >
> > Here is the content of this ADR:

> > # 9. Migration to Java Runtime Environment 11
> >
> > Date: 2019-10-24
> >
> > ## Status
> >
> > Proposed
> >
> > ## Context
> >
> > Java 11 is the only "Long Term Support" java release right now so more
> > and more people will use it exclusively.
> >
> > James is known to build with Java Compiler 11 for some weeks.
> >
> > ## Decision
> >
> > We adopt Java Runtime Environment 11 for James as a runtime to benefits
> > from a supported runtime and new features
> > of the languages and the platform.
> >
> > ## Consequences
> >
> > * It requires the upgrade of Spring to 4.3.x.
> > * All docker images should be updated to adoptopenjdk 11.
> > * The documentation should be updated accordingly.

> > Voting rules:
> >
> > I do propose a vote to ensure consensus on it:
> >  - Answer this mail with "+1" to support this decision
> >  - Answer this mail with "-1" if you reject this decision
> >
> > Negative votes should be motivated. Voting ends on 31th October 2019
> > 8am UTC.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > --
> > Matthieu Baechler

Il presente messaggio ed i suoi allegati sono confidenziali in ragione
della loro natura professionale e, in ogni caso, non accessibili al
pubblico. Nel caso in cui il presente messaggio sia ricevuto da soggetto
diverso dal suo diretto destinatario, si prega di darne immediata notizia
all'indirizzo email *amministrazione@gocloud.it
<ma...@gocloud.it>* e di procedere immediatamente alla
distruzione dello stesso e dei suoi allegati, da effettuarsi senza copiarne
o rivelarne ad alcuno il contenuto. Grazie per la collaborazione.

This
e-mail and any  attachments thereto are confidential and may be covered by
legal professional privilege or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you
are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by email to
the address _amministrazione@gocloud.it <ma...@gocloud.it>
and then immediately destroy this message and any attachments from your
system, without copying or disclosing the contents to any other person.
Thank you for your co-operation._

Re: [Vote] migration to java 11

Posted by Antoine Duprat <ad...@apache.org>.
+1