Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by Till Westmann <ti...@apache.org> on 2018/06/09 04:15:29 UTC

Rename COLL_* aggregate functions into STRICT_*

Hi,

There are 2 kinds of aggregation functions in SQL++ right now:
1) those with the prefix ARRAY_ (which share SQL's behavior or ignoring
NULL) and
2) those with the prefix COLL_ (which return NULL, if one of the values
is NULL).

To reduce the confusion about which functions implement a strict NULL
handling I’ve renamed the COLL_ functions to use the prefix STRICT_
instead. To ease migration both prefixes are allowed right now.
But I’d like to get rid of the COLL_ prefix after the 0.9.4 release.

Would that work (could we migrate current uses of the COLL_ prefix
relatively quickly)?
Or do we know of uses of these functions that cannot easily be migrated?

Cheers,
Till

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ASTERIXDB-2399
[2] https://asterix-gerrit.ics.uci.edu/#/c/2691

Re: Rename COLL_* aggregate functions into STRICT_*

Posted by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the quick approach.  I doubt that we have a big legacy in this
part of the SQL++ space...  :-)