Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Simon Brooke <si...@jasmine.org.uk> on 2003/02/20 14:12:29 UTC

Would Jakarta like to adopt MaybeUpload?

Hi

Introduction: About MaybeUpload

I wrote MaybeUpload, a package to make it easy to write Servlets which can do
RFC 1867 style file upload, about two years ago, and immediately announced it
on Freshmeat as an open source project (BSD license). In March 2002 the
Cocoon project asked me if they could include MaybeUpload in the Cocoon 2
distribution, and of course I said I'd be delighted. As far as I'm aware it
is still the only open source RFC 1867 compliant Servlet package available.

I now think MaybeUpload is now pretty much stable - it is after all a fairly
simple piece of functionality. It's to everyone's benefit if it is widely
used, because it means that other people don't have to reinvent this
particular wheel, and more improvements will feed back into the codebase. I
feel it would be likely to get more users if it were an official Apache
project.

I'm not wishing to hand over or end-of-life MaybeUpload - I'm quite happy to
continue to be a or even the maintainer, but I'm equally happy to share
repsonsibility with others.

Fit with the Jakarta criteria

Community

MaybeUpload has a mailing list (which isn't very active - I hope because the
thing just works and there isn't much to discuss) and has had bug fixes and
feature improvements submitted by about a dozen people. I've generally
accepted other people's fixes into the codebase provided I've been happy that
they do something useful and don't break anything else, and have announced
new releases both on the mailing list and on Freshmeat.

Core Developers

Frankly MaybeUpload has been primarily a one-person project. It does not have
three core developers.

Alignment with existing Apache subprojects

MaybeUpload is already used by the Cocoon project. However, it's not XML
related, it's Servlet related, so it doesn't belong in xml.apache, and
Jakarta looks a more natural home. MaybeUpload is relevent to Tomcat, and
also to things like Struts and Turbine. MaybeUpload depends on
Jakarta-RegExp.

Scope

MaybeUpload is a server side component in the Java language.

	Iraq war: it's time for regime change...
		... go now, Tony, while you can still go with dignity.