Posted to users@sling.apache.org by Jason Bailey <Ja...@sas.com> on 2014/03/04 17:43:18 UTC

Sling :redirect as a security vulnerability

We're reviewing our recent security scans and we had a red flag on the usage of ":redirect" in our forms. It's being flagged as a potential attack vector as you can set this to any url.
So knowing that these reports are indicators of potential problems and not always valid. I wanted to get some clarity from the sling user base to whether they have seen this before, is there a setting that I am missing? Or do I need to do some additional to prevent this from being an issue? Etc.

Thanks

-Jason Bailey

Re: Sling :redirect as a security vulnerability

Posted by Ravi Teja Lokineni <ra...@gmail.com>.
I have added a pull request(include testcase) to fix this vulnerability

https://github.com/apache/sling/pull/12

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 4:32 PM, bond <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I got this on one of the scans as well. The problem lies in
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sling/trunk/bundles/auth/form/src/main/java/org/apache/sling/auth/form/impl/FormAuthenticationHandler.java
> ,
> FYI in my case
>
> Code in trunk:
> if (resource != null) {
>                         try {
>                                 response.sendRedirect(resource);
>                         } catch (IOException ioe) {
>                                 log.error("Failed to send redirect to: " +
> resource, ioe);
>                         }
>
>                         // terminate request, all done
>                         result = true;
>                 }
>
> Suggested code change, change response.sendRedirect to senRedirect(This
> method url encodes the resource parameter):
> if (resource != null) {
>                         try {
>                                 sendRedirect(resource);
>                         } catch (IOException ioe) {
>                                 log.error("Failed to send redirect to: " +
> resource, ioe);
>                         }
>
>                         // terminate request, all done
>                         result = true;
>                 }

*Ravi Teja Lokineni* | Software Engineer
Oracle India Pvt. Ltd.

E: raviteja.lokineni@gmail.com

<https://www.linkedin.com/in/ravitejalokineni>

Re: Sling :redirect as a security vulnerability

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
If you're using the Sling security bundle, the referrer is checked for POST
requests which should give you enough protection.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org