Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2018/09/09 00:52:51 UTC

Email to be sent to inactive mentors

Hi,

There been several discussions over several month on what to do about missing mentors. In some case have a missing mentors is not an issue and there’s other mentors that can help, whoever currently we have a number of podling with only one or two active mentors and the board has concerns about the rate of report sign off and missing podling reports. (Both of which could be a sign of inactive mentors).

Here the draft email I’m going to send out late next week (baring any objections) to all inactive mentors (as listed in this document [2] with no activity for a podling). Feedback on the text below welcome.

Given there will be 60 or so emails sent out, how do we want to handle this and the replies? It’s going to generate a lot of noise on the list. I could make it more generic and contain it to one thread but then we are likely to get mentors asking what podlings we are asking abut or mentors that are active in other podlings objecting thinking that they are active. Also should the replies go to general@ or private@, given people may have personal reasons for not being active and may not want to share that in a public list.

It may be better to send off list (from my apache.org email address) and bring back a summary here to reduce the amount of on-list noise.

If we don’t get a reply within a week I would suggest removing them as mentors and ask the podling to start looking for another mentor if needed. They can ask to be added back  as a mentor at any future point by asking their PPMC or asking here.

The email to be sent:

———————————
Hi <mentor>,

I can see you are are the mentor of <podling(s)> and haven’t been signing off reports on a frequent basis or active on the mailing list in the last 6 months. We’re grateful that you stood up as a volunteer to mentor this project, but things change and you may no longer be in the position to be able to mentor this podling.

Could you respond to this email and indicate if you wish to continue as a mentor or step down.

Here’s a reminder of what mentors are expected to do. [1]

Thanks,
Justin Mclean (V.P. Incubator)

1. https://incubator.apache.org/policy/roles_and_responsibilities.html#mentor

———————————

Thanks,
Justin

2. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oR2kymzDTLOy-P-QLYM1wlHFES6LG9X-V2SMgwohvR4/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Email to be sent to inactive mentors

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 4:43 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > But apart from all of that GitHub issues should definitely be mirrored
> back
> > to the mailing list.  There's no way to justify that an issue tracker is
> > not echoed back.
>
> They were not being, but that’s being changed, and the mentor is now
> signed up to the dev list where they were not before.

That is awesome progress.

> Mentoring is different to the PPMC making decisions, and while it best for
> it to be in an open and archived place, I don't think all mentoring
> activity has to be on the mailing list.

That is sooo very true. Particularly with personality issues, it can be
enormously better to coach quietly in the background. The desired outcome
is constructive behavior in public. Private coaching can let the
personality in question demonstrate a pattern of doing better in public
which can set the entire community on a better track. Having the mentor be
a highly visible player in that can be highly counter productive especially
if the mentor is going to leave the community after graduation.

> I still have some concerns about the amount of off-list communication but
> that a separate issue.

Indeed. And that is a great opportunity to mentor the mentor so that they
can better mentor the community.

Re: Email to be sent to inactive mentors

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> But apart from all of that GitHub issues should definitely be mirrored back
> to the mailing list.  There's no way to justify that an issue tracker is
> not echoed back.

They were not being, but that’s being changed, and the mentor is now signed up to the dev list where they were not before.

Mentoring is different to the PPMC making decisions, and while it best for it to be in an open and archived place, I don't think all mentoring activity has to be on the mailing list.

I still have some concerns about the amount of off-list communication but that a seperate issue.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Email to be sent to inactive mentors

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

So we’ve over the 50% mark, so those who has responded a number have indicated that they will put more effort into mentoring and stay on, 7 people so far will continue as mentors, 19 have asked to step down.

We had every one of the gearpump mentors ask to step down, but given the project is voting on retiring nothing needs to be done.

I’ll wait another week, but I’m guessing we’ll not get many more responses. The next step I think is to contact each of the podlings where mentors haven’t responded and tell them the situation i.e your mentor seems to be missing, and we can’t seem to contact them, and see if they respond. We can wait another week or two and then just remove them if we get no response, they can ask to be re-added if need be. Anyone have any other ideas?

One thing in common seems it be the length of time in the incubator vs how active mentors are. I’ll put together a graph to see if there any correlation. It does seem to make sense that over a longer period (2 years +) it more likely that a mentor will change jobs, move/build a hours, have children (all reasons mentor's gave for being inactive btw) or perhaps just loose interest and no longer be able to mentor a podling.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Email to be sent to inactive mentors

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
As requested - WHIMSY-207 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIMSY-207> Show Github username on Roster Tables

Regards,
Dave

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Indeed.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Maybe I am missing something here, but how would GitHub contributions contribute to mentoring?

Well I thought it wouldn't which is why I didn’t include it, but as some projects use GitHub issues a lot, so some stuff tends to get discussed there rather than on the dev list. There’s a few other factors in this case, but I think it’s on it way to being sorted. I'll bring it to the mentors attention and see what they think. (Sorry for being obtuse, but this is a public list.)

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Email to be sent to inactive mentors

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 17 September 2018 at 02:39, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Current 1/3 of those asked have responded with:
> -17 mentors have asked to retire/step down
> - 3 will continue (including one who asked to step down but changed their mind and has been added back)
>
> Of the total above 1 mentor was miss-identified as missing as they are mostly active in GitHub and not on the mailing list.

Maybe I am missing something here, but how would GitHub contributions
contribute to mentoring?
Or are you just looking for any activity rather than mentoring activity itself?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

So far 20% of mentors has responded with:
- 11 asking to retire/step down/be removed as mentors
- 1 has stated that they will be more active and asked to stay on
- 1 will stay on until project graduates

For the mentors that have asked to be removed, I’ve asked them to send an email to their podlings stating that and I’ve also said that if their situation changes they just need to be asked to be re-appointed as a mentor.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Email to be sent to inactive mentors

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I’ve just sent out an email to all (62) inactive mentors asking them if they want to continue as a mentor. I decided not to have replies come to here as I think it wild make too much noise on this list but I’ll report back with the results once I mentors start getting back to me.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Email to be sent to inactive mentors

Posted by Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@usna.edu>.
Justin,

Can you please remove Josh Elser from the list of inactive mentors for Rya?
He only missed the last report and he is always available when we have
questions.

Thank you,
Adina

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> And thankfully, I'm on this list and looked this up here--as this came as a bit of a shock. It's not that I didn't already know that Daniel was overwhelmed. :) It's just I didn't expect the forthcoming "remove from Annotator" email.

He asked to be removed as a mentor, because as far as he knew he wasn’t one.

> I believe I wrote that initial XML, and that I'd filled it in based on the guide for podlings which states something about Champion's also being Mentors.

They can be, but it’s not always the case. They 9and anyone else) can of course still mentor in an unofficial role.

> However, if possible (from a poling perspective) it'd be super nice to have slightly more informative "removed from" emails.

I guess I could of sent an email to your list stay that Daniel was surprised to find he was a mentor and has asked to be removed?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Email to be sent to inactive mentors

Posted by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com>.
And thankfully, I'm on this list and looked this up here--as this came as a bit of a shock. It's not that I didn't already know that Daniel was overwhelmed. :) It's just I didn't expect the forthcoming "remove from Annotator" email.

I believe I wrote that initial XML, and that I'd filled it in based on the guide for podlings which states something about Champion's also being Mentors.

I'm *totally* fine with Daniel focusing on higher priorities! However, if possible (from a poling perspective) it'd be super nice to have slightly more informative "removed from" emails.

Thanks!

Benjamin

--

http://bigbluehat.com/

http://linkedin.com/in/benjaminyoung

________________________________
> I honestly don't have the time to mentor them in an official capacity - if I'm listed as anything but champion, then yes, remove me as a mentor. I'll continue in a low-capacity to provide help when I can, but I have other priorities first and foremost :)

Done and sorted.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Email to be sent to inactive mentors

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
There seems to be a bit of confusion here. I am not a mentor for
Annotator, yet I am listed as one. I did champion it (and offer
advice/help on occasion), but AIUI the champion's duties officially stop
once the project has entered incubation and gotten set up. If this is
not the case, then our policies should be updated to reflect this, as it
seems wrong to assume duties we did not explicitly ask people to take on.

With regards,
Daniel.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,