Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by galevsky <ga...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/27 13:51:26 UTC

[Windows service] how to update with new procrun (doc is deprecated)

Hi all,

I made a silent install of Tomcat 5.5 that generates a Tomcat5 Windows
service, with JavaHome set reading my HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java
Runtime Environment\CurrentVersion key. But this key is false (still a
1.4 JRE) and I want to update the service during my install process to
make JavaHome target the right JRE path (a 1.5 one). I precise that it
is normal that my key is still pointing to an old JRE version, since I
install the 1.5 taking extra care not to change the global system
version (don't want to break other apps running on 1.4).

I can't do it with the GUI bin\tomcat5w.exe, but I would like to run
something like:
-> bin\tomcat5.exe //US//Tomcat5 --JavaHome="C:\Program Files\Java\JRE\1.5.0_11"

I read it in the documentation at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/windows-service-howto.html,
but it doesn't work and I am not surprised:

"This section of the documentation applies to procrun 1.0, and is now obsolete."

So, I would be most grateful if someone could tell the way to update
my JavaHome, or give me a link to learn it.

Many thanks,

Gal'

Re: [Windows service] how to update with new procrun (doc is deprecated)

Posted by galevsky <ga...@gmail.com>.
Mark Thomas <markt <at> apache.org> writes:

> The procrun docs are:
> http://commons.apache.org/daemon/procrun.html
>
> At first glance what you are doing looks right to me. What tells you it
> isn't working?
>
> Mark

I 've just done another try: it is okay. In fact, I was mixing up --JAVA_HOME
option and --Jvm. I though that I had to update --JavaHome to make the service
get  the \bin\client\jvm.dll, but I have to use --Jvm instead. Sorry to be so
asleep.

Can you explain me what is the job of the JavaHome since the jvm.dll is
specified by another option ?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.