Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by John Heidemann <jo...@ISI.EDU> on 1996/10/29 03:06:07 UTC

potential Apache performance problem: size of the TCP send buffer

Apache-1.1.1 doesn't appear to set the size of the TCP send buffer.
On many systems the default send-buffer size is too small to support
full-rate transfer over high bandwidth-delay-product networks (such as
cross-US Internet traffic).  For example, a 100ms round-trip time
(typical cross-US latency) and a 4kB default buffer size (common to
many OSes such as SunOS) limit transfer rate to 40kB/s.

Much better cross-US transfer rates are possible between
well-connected hosts if the send buffer size is increased.  A patch at
<http://www.isi.edu/~johnh/SOFTWARE/APACHE/apache_1.1.1_isi_set_sndbuf.patch>
implements the SendBufferSize directive to allow Apache to have a
configurable buffer size.

A complete description of this directive is in the file
send_buffer_size.html which accompanies the patch.  For a pointer to
other patches, see <http://www.isi.edu/~johnh/SOFTWARE/APACHE>.  For
descriptions of the problems motivating these patches, see
<http://www.isi.edu/lsam/publications/phttp_tcp_interactions/>.  [For
those of you who have seen this web page before, there are some new
figures in ``The Performance Problems'' section and the buffer-size
problem is described under ``Other Problems'' there.]

   -John Heidemann
    USC/ISI

Re: potential Apache performance problem: size of the TCP send buffer

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
This patch looks good to me - a patch against the current cvs tree is appended.
Any other +1's?

	Brian