Posted to user@spark.apache.org by cjdc <cr...@cern.ch> on 2014/11/28 09:41:57 UTC

Spark SQL 1.0.0 - RDD from snappy compress avro file

Hi everyone,

I am using Spark 1.0.0 and I am facing some issues with handling binary
snappy compressed avro files which I get form HDFS. I know there are
improved mechanisms to handle these files on more recent version of Spark,
but updating is not an option since I am operating on a Cloudera cluster
with no admin privileges.

I would simply like to get some of these avro files, create de RDD and then
do simple SQL queries to their content.
By following Spark SQL 1.0.0 Programming Guide, we have:

*/val sqlContext = new org.apache.spark.sql.SQLContext(sc)
import sqlContext._

val myData = sc.textFile("/example/mydir/MyFile1.avro")
### QUESTION ###
### How to dynamically define the schema from the Avro header?? ###
#
# val Schema =

myData.registerAsTable("MyDB")

val query = sql("SELECT * FROM MyDB")
query.collect().foreach(println)/*

so, how would you modify this to make it work (considering the Spark
version)?

Thanks

Re: Spark SQL 1.0.0 - RDD from snappy compress avro file

Posted by cjdc <cr...@cern.ch>.
Ideas?

Re: Spark SQL 1.0.0 - RDD from snappy compress avro file

Posted by cjdc <cr...@cern.ch>.
btw the same error from above also happen on 1.1.0 (just tested)

Re: Spark SQL 1.0.0 - RDD from snappy compress avro file

Posted by cjdc <cr...@cern.ch>.
Hi Vikas and Simone,

thanks for the replies.
Yeah I understand this would be easier with 1.2 but this is completely out
of my control. I really have to work with 1.0.0.

About Simone's approach, during the imports I get:
/scala> import org.apache.avro.mapreduce.{ AvroJob, AvroKeyInputFormat,
AvroKeyOutputFormat }
<console>:17: error: object mapreduce is not a member of package
org.apache.avro
       import org.apache.avro.mapreduce.{ AvroJob, AvroKeyInputFormat,
AvroKeyOutputFormat }
                              ^

scala> import org.apache.avro.mapred.AvroKey
<console>:17: error: object mapred is not a member of package
org.apache.avro
       import org.apache.avro.mapred.AvroKey
                              ^
scala> import com.twitter.chill.avro.AvroSerializer
<console>:18: error: object avro is not a member of package
com.twitter.chill
       import com.twitter.chill.avro.AvroSerializer
                                ^/

Re: Spark SQL 1.0.0 - RDD from snappy compress avro file

Posted by Simone Franzini <ca...@gmail.com>.
Did you have a look at my reply in this thread?

http://apache-spark-user-list.1001560.n3.nabble.com/How-can-I-read-this-avro-file-using-spark-amp-scala-td19400.html

I am using 1.1.0 though, so not sure if that code would work entirely with
1.0.0, but you can try.

Simone Franzini, PhD

http://www.linkedin.com/in/simonefranzini

Posted by Vikas Agarwal <vi...@infoobjects.com>.