Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2015/03/04 07:11:10 UTC

Java SE 7 EOL

FYI, just read at https://twitter.com/java

<<After April 2015, Oracle will not post further updates of Java SE 7 to its public download sites. http://ow.ly/Iz25J>> <http://t.co/7ZCwLmt402>

I think it's time for us to declare Java 8 our recommended version.

Jacques

Re: Java SE 7 EOL

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Exactly.

It needs to crystal clear to developers that until xxx (event or date)
all testing is to be done on Java 7 even if the recommended run-time is
the Java 8 jvm.

The new features in Java 8 are pretty attractive. I switched to Java 8
in the Fall for all our projects and it has been painless (aside from
teaching an old dog new tricks).

How was this done between Java 6 and 7?
There were fewer changes and major new features
(http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/language/enhancements.html#javase7)
but there must have been a protocol for adding code that depended on Java 7.

Ron

Re: Java SE 7 EOL

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Java SE 7 EOL

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 04/03/2015 16:09, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
> It seems that a lot of the current major OFBiz committers have private forks and would be affected if patches started showing up in the trunk that
> could not be adopted to their products without forcing them to upgrade all of their customers to the Java 8 JVM.

I believe there are now very few such cases, and they should think about what they are doing (see below)

> No point creating chaos when it can be avoided with a bit of policy-making and transparency.

We can be polite: it last when Oracle last.- After it's *insecure* anyway... and most should run with Java 8

Jacques

Re: Java SE 7 EOL

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Ron,

Whether any or all committers have private forks or not, is an assumption.
If they do have, it is their concern how they implement the changes from
the project. Again, this project is not responsible for forked copies.

Re: Java SE 7 EOL

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Re: Java SE 7 EOL

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Ron,

Re: Java SE 7 EOL

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 04/03/2015 15:51, Ron Wheeler a écrit :

> Not sure what you mean?
> From the ORACLE docs, can you propose a "best not to before date" for code that only runs on Java 8?
>
> Changes to the trunk that require a Java 8 jvm will have an impact on anyone who wants to backport the patch or apply it to a forked copy.

Remember one thing: we only backport bug fixes. With few exceptions and of course no code with Java 8 specific changes shall be allowed to be backported

> I guess that we could survey the community and see how many installations are already on a Java 8 jvm or plan to upgrade in the next n months.
> Sharan is putting together a new survey and I could formulate a few questions on this topic.

Overkill IMO, but let's see...

Jacques

Re: Java SE 7 EOL

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Not sure what you mean?
 From the ORACLE docs, can you propose a "best not to before date" for

Re: Java SE 7 EOL

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
We have to consider the OpenJDK variant as well, see our
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/System+Requirements

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*