Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Valery Jacot <vj...@eim.ch> on 2003/05/26 16:06:17 UTC

how to catch exception using tiles ???

Hello all struts user...

I would like to know if somebody has already tried to catch the exceptions
thrown in a jsp template that is called by a <tiles:insert ...> in a JSP
page. It is to have own exceptions handling and own exceptions treatment.

If somebody has an idea... Thanks...

Valery

the system manager to postmaster@eim.ch

Re: how to catch exception using tiles ???

Posted by Cedric Dumoulin <ce...@apache.org>.
  Originally, it was possible to use the jsp page directive <@ page
|errorPage="|relativeURL @> on a nested tile bases| |for error/exception
handling. But this doesn't work anymore.

  I have no simple solution. You can try one of the following:

    * Put a surrounding try/catch block in the tile throwing an
      exception, and treat the exception from there.
    * Change the <insert ...> tag behavior by changing the
      implementation of InsertTag.java. Look for the method
      processException(...). All is happening here. You can either
      provide your own new tag, or change the original tag  behavior.
    * Avoid throwing an exception in a Tile. This is certainly the best
      way :-). Page rendering should normally not throw an exception. If
      you have an action or controller  throwing an exception, consider
      using a Struts action with associated exception mechanism, or
      catch the exception in the action and do a forward accordingly.
    * Wait for the next release which will provide a better exception
      handling mechanism. This can take some times :-(

   Cedric

Posted by Thomas Oldervoll <th...@java.no>.

Posted by Cedric Dumoulin <ce...@apache.org>.
  Hi,