Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Dave Viner <dv...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2002/11/22 18:52:48 UTC

forrest and xml catalogs

Hi,
	I noticed the forrest documentation at
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/primer.html recommends using <!DOCTYPE
document PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation V1.1//EN" "document-v11.dtd">
and letting the catalog file resolve the actual location of the dtd file.
("The exact local location of the DTD for validation purposes is obtained by
the entity resolver evaluating the mapping scheme as defined in the catalog
file.")

	When I run the forrest command line program from xml-xindice directory, it
works fine.  But when I use XML Spy to edit the files (or any other xml
editor), they can not validate the documents.  I believe this is because it
can't find the catalog file.  Does anyone know how to configure an XML
editor (preferably XML Spy) to use an XML catalog?

thanks
dave

RE: forrest and xml catalogs

Posted by Dave Viner <dv...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Ok... After hunting thru some documentation, here's how you can do it for
xmlspy.  In the program directory for XML spy (for me, C:\Program
Files\Altova\XMLSPY), there is a CustomCatalog.xml.  This file is meant for
'local' catalog definitions (where local means not provided by altova).
Into this file, you should paste the contents of all the children of the
'catalog' element in your $FORREST_HOME/src/resources/schema/catalog.xcat.
Now prepend 'http://localhost/forrest/' to all the uri attributes of the
public elements.

Then you need to make the the contents of
$FORREST_HOME/src/resources/schema/* available from your local webserver.  I
use old-fashioned Apache 1.3.26.  So I added these lines to my  apache
configuration:
	Alias /forrest D:\xml-forrest\src\resources\schema
where D:\xml-forrest is my $FORREST_HOME.  Restart your apache, and you
should be able to access http://localhost/forrest/dtd/document-v11.dtd

Now restart your XML Spy and voila. You should now be able to validate your
forrest documents properly in XML Spy.

I'm sure there are several other ways of accomplishing this.  And this is
specific to XML Spy.  But I wanted to share the information anyway in case
other XML Spy users wanted to help document Xindice !

HTH
dave

Re: forrest and xml catalogs

Posted by Joan M Carroll <jc...@world.std.com>.
I'm sorry that I don't have the solution to this
question.  I just wanted to thank Dave Viner for
working through some of these Forrest issues for
the rest of us.

When I started to get setup to add entries to the
"related" page, I heeded Vladimir's note and downloaded
Forrest to rig the entire apparatus.  After that
I went into a tailspin trying to get everything
working together.  I thought I was the only one so
far "into the woods" with Forrest (lol)

I just wanted to add a few hrefs to a page, but then
I wanted to test everything would work right afterwards.

As a result of my frustration I actually setup a
fresh linux box to offload all of the project-related
stuff from the box I use for my main work -  so the
time has not been completely wasted.

In the process, I began to wonder whether there is
some kind of testing matrix used for this (or other)
open source projects.

The config items that I have some latitude with are:

1) Java DK - version, platform
2) Browser - version, platform (for site doc)

theoretically the browser ver should not matter:->
however, browsers are starting to care about doctype
tags ...  i know dave raggett's tidy tool does ...

testing universe:
This would clearly be a huge, n-dimensional matrix if
it were worked out in detail.  However, I am hoping
that there is a notion of "core" platform support, or
maybe better - some group-accessible log/matrix where
we can post test results

(I know, I know ... thank me for volunteering to create
one...  Let me know.  I'm still trying to restore myself
from delinquent status on 3 test items but I am determined
to get these done.  very soon dammit! :)