Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Phil <ph...@tcp.net.au> on 2002/06/28 02:15:09 UTC

Don't give up. The battle is worth the results.

> Yes.  If you want commecial support for Cocoon, get commecial support
> for cocoon.

In Australia, Spark Digital are providing commercial support for Cocoon
and re-writing all the documentation to fit in with a MaxOSX IDE they're
developing which makes use of cocoon as well as several other open
source projects.

There are also a series of conferences from July 11 through 18 all over
Sydney that will be presenting XML and XSLT using cocoon, and informal
workshops for problem solving. Better yet they're free! ...in keeping
with open source :) There are enough big name sponsors showing up to
give it a MacWorld feel.

I'm hoping that enough aussie cocoon users will come along so we can
help to support cocoon and xml developments here in oz.

I'll dig up the brochure and post times and dates if anyone is
interested.

I've just finished working on the Val Morgan web site which is now a
live cocoon 2 project:

	http://www.valmorgan.com.au/

It makes use of almost every component within cocoon and will soon be
internationalised. (ie native language and local information versions
for each country.

Anyone who has got to this stage with an open source project knows that
the documentation is really bad.  Not just cocoon's documentation, but
$100 books written by profiteers that contain little, if any,
information.

This is normal for this stage of a development - commercial or open
source. I've spent thousands on commercial software with useless
documentation.

It's very hard to pioneer emerging technology and more often than not
the big, slow, crappy, bastard of a class library just wont come to the
party. However, in my case the problem has always been user stupidity -
without exception.

I like to think it's the stupidity of the "would-be" technical writers
that put together the documentation I don't understand however, when I
finally do understand what I'm doing, I re-read the crappy documentation
and find that is does kinda mean what it says. It just does it really
poorly. Developers are not often good technical writers because they
assume far too much. Good copywriters are not often good technical
writers.

A good technical writer, these days is hard to find. :)

But don't give up. The increased speed of web application construction,
the ease of extending and maintaining web applications that take
advantage of cocoon, and the happy customers that result, far outweigh
the hair-pulling, aging, machine destroying experience of learning
cocoon.

Thanks,

Phil

PS Doesn't big, slow, and crappy simply refer to anything running in
Java? We really need a Smalltalk cocoon for serious players. Anyone up
for it?

Re: Don't give up. The battle is worth the results.

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.
On Thursday, June 27, 2002, at 08:15  PM, Phil wrote:

> In Australia, Spark Digital are providing commercial support for Cocoon
> and re-writing all the documentation to fit in with a MaxOSX IDE
> they're developing which makes use of cocoon as well as several other
> open source projects.

Hi,

I noticed your above post on cocoon-users. Can you elaborate a bit on
what you meant by "re-writing" all Cocoon documentation? Are you
starting from scratch or extending what is already there? If so, how
will it be available to users down the road? Only as a part of your
product? Free?

Thanks.

Diana
(also a Mac OSX fan)