Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Patricia Hickin <pp...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/05 15:44:25 UTC

Problems with inserting graphics, columns

Is this the place to get help with a text document?
I am trying to insert a picture and put text to the right of the image.  I
can put text above or below, but not beside the image.

Also I want to divide the page into two columns, beginning about 2 or 3
inches from the top, but instead it divided the entire page into two
columns.

So, two questions:

How to get text to the right of an image?
 and how to divide a page into two or more columns, beginning 2-3" from the
top?

Thanks,
Pat

Re: Problems with inserting graphics, columns

Posted by Don Daugherty <dd...@sunflower.com>.
On 5/5/2013 8:44 AM, Patricia Hickin wrote:
> Is this the place to get help with a text document?
> I am trying to insert a picture and put text to the right of the image.  I
> can put text above or below, but not beside the image.
>
> Also I want to divide the page into two columns, beginning about 2 or 3
> inches from the top, but instead it divided the entire page into two
> columns.
>
> So, two questions:
>
> How to get text to the right of an image?
>   and how to divide a page into two or more columns, beginning 2-3" from the
> top?
>
> Thanks,
> Pat

Text to right of picture is fairly easy:
1.  Insert picture at proper point.
2.  Right click  on it and choose Picture.  This pops-up a nine-tab
box.  The 'Type' and 'Wrap' tabs are probably of most use.  On the Type
tab, Size can be adjusted by checking the Keep Ratio box and then
changing either Width or Height.  Use Anchor to control picture
position.  To_paragraph or To_character is probably best.
On the Wrap tab, the Optimal Setting should provide what you said you
want.  Spacing allows you to keep a little white-space between the
picture edges and the text.

Sorry, I can't help with the column problem.

Re: Problems with inserting graphics, columns

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.
Dale Erwin
Jr. 28 de Julio 657, Depto. 03
Magdalena del Mar, Lima 17 PERU
http://leather.casaerwin.org

On 5/5/2013 9:08 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2013/5/5 Patricia Hickin <pp...@gmail.com>:
>> Is this the place to get help with a text document?
>> I am trying to insert a picture and put text to the right of the image.  I
>> can put text above or below, but not beside the image.
> What did you try? I had no problems at all doing this.
>
>> Also I want to divide the page into two columns, beginning about 2 or 3
>> inches from the top, but instead it divided the entire page into two
>> columns.
>> So, two questions:
>>
>> How to get text to the right of an image?
>
> 1. Insert your image.
> 2. Right click the image, click ”Image…” (or whatever it says; I run
> OpenOffice in Swedish).

It's "Picture" on mine.
> 3. Select the Text adjustment tab (I don't have a clue what its
> English name is, just select one that seems to do what you want…).
"Wrap"

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sun, 5 May 2013 20:41:22 -0400
Patricia Hickin <pp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your response, Johnny.  This time I had no problem creating the
> two columns where I wanted them.
>
> But I don't know how to get my cursor to go into column 2.  (I have a
> laptop and use the touchpad).
>
> Pat
>

> On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > 2013/5/5 Patricia Hickin <pp...@gmail.com>:
> > > Is this the place to get help with a text document?
> > > I am trying to insert a picture and put text to the right of the image.
> > > can put text above or below, but not beside the image.
> >
> > What did you try? I had no problems at all doing this.
> >

> > > Also I want to divide the page into two columns, beginning about 2 or 3
> > > inches from the top, but instead it divided the entire page into two
> > > columns.
> >

> > > So, two questions:
> > >
> > > How to get text to the right of an image?
> >

> > 1. Insert your image.
> > 2. Right click the image, click ”Image…” (or whatever it says; I run
> > OpenOffice in Swedish).
> > 3. Select the Text adjustment tab (I don't have a clue what its
> > English name is, just select one that seems to do what you want…).
> > 4. Select what you think will give you the result you want.
> >
> > Or:
> > 1. See 1 above.
> > 2. Right click the image, click Text adjustment (or whatever the
> > English name is), click one of the options that seem to do what you
> > want.
> >

> > >  and how to divide a page into two or more columns, beginning 2-3" from
> > the
> > > top?
> >
> > 1. Select the text that you want to have in two columns.
> > 2. Click Insert → Section (again, I'm not sure about the English name
> > of this option).
> > 3. Click the column tab of the new dialogue that pops up and edit the
> > settings to suit your needs.

When you are setting up  your section to use columns (or afterwards by /Format /Section :Options) there is a checkbox to "evenly distribute contents to all columns".  If this is not what  you want, uncheck this option. Then when you have entered sufficient text in Column One or position your cursor where you need the break, use /Insert /Break :Column break and cursor will move to Column two.  To exit the Column section use Alt Enter.

It may be that  you do not need to use a Column section.  Perhaps a two column table will be what  you need, to allow you enter text left and its matching text right.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Problems with inserting graphics, columns

Posted by Patricia Hickin <pp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.
2013/5/5 Patricia Hickin <pp...@gmail.com>:
> Is this the place to get help with a text document?
> I am trying to insert a picture and put text to the right of the image.  I
> can put text above or below, but not beside the image.

What did you try? I had no problems at all doing this.

> Also I want to divide the page into two columns, beginning about 2 or 3
> inches from the top, but instead it divided the entire page into two
> columns.

> So, two questions:
>
> How to get text to the right of an image?

1. Insert your image.
2. Right click the image, click ”Image…” (or whatever it says; I run
OpenOffice in Swedish).
3. Select the Text adjustment tab (I don't have a clue what its
English name is, just select one that seems to do what you want…).
4. Select what you think will give you the result you want.

Or:
1. See 1 above.
2. Right click the image, click Text adjustment (or whatever the
English name is), click one of the options that seem to do what you
want.

>  and how to divide a page into two or more columns, beginning 2-3" from the
> top?

1. Select the text that you want to have in two columns.
2. Click Insert → Section (again, I'm not sure about the English name
of this option).
3. Click the column tab of the new dialogue that pops up and edit the
settings to suit your needs.

> Thanks,
> Pat

You're welcome…