Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Alexander Skwar <AS...@DigitalProjects.com> on 2002/03/03 10:29:42 UTC

Subdomains with mod_rewrite

Hello all!

I'd like to setup my Apache 1.3.23 so, that it translates subdomain
requests to directories automagically.  Let me give you some examples
(the domain name is dom.ain):

Request                                 Redirect
a) http://dom.ain                       No redirect
b) http://sub.dom.ain                   http://dom.ain/sub
c) http://foo.sub.dom.ain               http://dom.ain/sub/foo
d) http://bar.foo.sub.dom.ain           http://dom.ain/sub/foo/bar
e) http://blah.bar.foo.sub.dom.ain      http://dom.ain/sub/foo/bar/blah

This means, that if one subdomain is requested, Apache should look for
the files in a folder with the same name as the subdomain (case a)
*sub*.dom.ain -> dom.ain/*sub*).

If two or more subdomains are requested, for the lookup it should
reverse the order of the domainnames and change the '.' to '/' to get
directory delimiters (cases c) to e)).

However, if the HTTP_HOST starts with www., the www. should be ignored
for all the translations.

For the most simple case a) I've got the following rules:

RewriteCond     %{HTTP_HOST}    ^[^.]+\.dom\.ain$
RewriteRule     ^(.+)   %{HTTP_HOST}$1  [C]
RewriteRule     ^([^.]+)\.dom.ain(.*)   /var/www/html/$1/$2

Well, could somebody please help me with the cases c) to e)?

Thanks a lot,

Alexander Skwar
--
How to quote:	http://learn.to/quote (german) http://quote.6x.to (english)
Homepage:	http://www.iso-top.de      |     Jabber: askwar@charente.de

Re: Configuring Apache httpd for a RedHat RPM-like layout

Posted by Vasiliy Boulytchev <va...@boulytcheva.com>.
where did you find it?
Posted by Ronald Landheer <ro...@minisat.com>.
Found it - --wtih-layout=RedHat
 :)

Ronald

Re: Subdomains with mod_rewrite

Posted by Martin Haase-Thomas <mh...@meome-ag.de>.
Sorry, the last rule has to be
RewriteRule .* $1/$3$2
well, maybe...

--
                   http://www.meome.de
Martin Haase-Thomas         |       Tel.: 030 43730-558

Re: Subdomains with mod_rewrite

Posted by Martin Haase-Thomas <mh...@meome-ag.de>.
Hi,