Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by ufuk yılmaz <uy...@vivaldi.net.INVALID> on 2020/11/22 15:36:53 UTC

Use stream result like a query (alternative to innerJoin)

Hi all,

I’m looking for a way to query two collections and find documents that exist in both, I know this can be done with innerJoin streaming expression but I want to avoid it, since one of the collection streams can possibly have billions of results:

Let’s say two collections are:

deletedItems = [{deletedItemId: 1}, {deletedItemId: 2}...]
items = [
	{
		id: 1,
		name: "a"
	},
	{	id: 2,
		name: "b"
	},
	{
		id: 3,
		name: "c"
	}.....
]

“deletedItems” contain a few documents compared to “items” collection (1mil vs 2-3 bil). If I query them both with a typical query in our system, deletedItems gives a few thousand results but items give tens/hundreds of millions. To use innerJoin, I have to stream the whole items result to worker node over network.

Is there a way to avoid this, something like using “deletedItems” result as a query to “items” stream?

Thanks in advance for the help

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

RE: Use stream result like a query (alternative to innerJoin)

Posted by ufuk yılmaz <uy...@vivaldi.net.INVALID>.
Fetch would work for my specific case (since I’m working with id’s there’s no one to many), if I was able to restrict fetch’s target domain with a query. I would first get all possible deleted ids, then use fetch to the items collection. But then the current fetch implementation would find all deleted items, not something like “deleted items with these names” or “deleted items between this time” etc.

I came upon your video while researching this stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTNe3TaqFvo

I’m trying to use the “let” expression to feed one stream’s result to another as a query, using string concat function and eval stream. So far I couldn’t write a working example, but it’s an idea that I’m playing with.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.
Here is the documentation for fetch:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_4/stream-decorator-reference.html#fetch