Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Allan Cady <al...@yahoo.com> on 2004/12/15 01:05:10 UTC

Make rollover increment instead of decrement?

I'd like to be able to configure log file rollover to go "up"
instead of "down".  By this I mean, when it rolls over, it starts
the new log at the next available higher index number, and leaves
the old files alone (rather than starting the new log at index
zero, and renaming the existing files by incrementing their

Does this option already exist and I'm overlooking something?  If
it's not currently supported, is it something that's been
considered but not implemented?

I found one discussion thread with a suggestion to make the
filename generator an interchangable object, rather than having it
hard-coded into the RollingFileAppender... this seems like a good
idea to me.