Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de on 2004/04/05 14:34:41 UTC

RE: man pages as source

> I'm starting a new project and of course want to document it using
> forrest :-)  But I also want to provide traditional manpages.
>  I could
> use some source format (like docbook or xhtml2) that could be
> converted
> to both manpage source and to forrest's doc-v12.  Or I could
> write/find
> a way to convert manpage source to a forrest doc-v12.
>
> Does any of this exist already?  Or any other ideas?

I think writing the docbook and generating the man- and info-pages would be
the
best way. I don´t know any tools for that, but a quick googling gave me some
hits [1-3]. But IMHO these tools can not be included in Forrest, so writing
stylesheet for generating the man-pages from doc-v12 (don´t know the docbook
support in Forrest) would be the cleaner way...

Jan

[1] http://olympus.het.brown.edu/cgi-bin/man2html?docbook-to-man+1
    docbook-to-man - convert DocBook SGML into roff -man macros

[2] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/1998-March/msg00482.html
    docbook to man page converter

[3] http://olympus.het.brown.edu/cgi-bin/man2html?docbook2txt+1
    The jw shell script allows to convert a DocBook file ... other formats

Re: man pages as source

Posted by Joao Araujo <jo...@wireless-networks.com>.
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:

> > I'm starting a new project and of course want to document it using
> > forrest :-)  But I also want to provide traditional manpages.
> >  I could
> > use some source format (like docbook or xhtml2) that could be
> > converted
> > to both manpage source and to forrest's doc-v12.  Or I could
> > write/find
> > a way to convert manpage source to a forrest doc-v12.
> >
> > Does any of this exist already?  Or any other ideas?
>

> I think writing the docbook and generating the man- and info-pages
> would be the
> best way. I don´t know any tools for that, but a quick googling gave
> me some
> hits [1-3]. But IMHO these tools can not be included in Forrest, so
> writing a
> stylesheet for generating the man-pages from doc-v12 (don´t know the
> docbook
> support in Forrest) would be the cleaner way...

    Forrest support docbook manpages automatically. Just drop a dockbook
manpage
    as xml doc into the xdocs directory. It will work fine. (thanks to
dave brondsema)

    Make sure you have this DOCTYPE :
    <!DOCTYPE refentry PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
        "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd">

    You will also need the latest version of forrest. Install it from CVS.

Joao,

Re: man pages as source

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
>  > I'm starting a new project and of course want to document it using
>  > forrest :-)  But I also want to provide traditional manpages.
>  >  I could
>  > use some source format (like docbook or xhtml2) that could be
>  > converted
>  > to both manpage source and to forrest's doc-v12.  Or I could
>  > write/find
>  > a way to convert manpage source to a forrest doc-v12.
>  >
>  > Does any of this exist already?  Or any other ideas?
>

> I think writing the docbook and generating the man- and info-pages would
> be the
> best way. I don´t know any tools for that, but a quick googling gave me
> some
> hits [1-3]. But IMHO these tools can not be included in Forrest, so
> writing a
> stylesheet for generating the man-pages from doc-v12 (don´t know the
> docbook
> support in Forrest) would be the cleaner way...
>
> Jan

Like Joao mentioned, forrest supports docbook manpages now.  And I use
the tools from http://docbook2x.sourceforge.net/ to convert it to a man
page.  There are a few tricks to get it to work well, though.  Would it
be useful for me to post a quick HOWTO somewhere?

I have a automake/autoconf project at
http://csx.calvin.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/sysadmin/lants/ that is set up
to generate a forrest site and install the man pages from the docbook
files, if you're interested in checking it out.  But the docbook files
themselves are minimal right now.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming