Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/27 16:16:37 UTC

[Discuss]Call for volunteers [Was: Re: Starting to build the user guide]

2013/1/21 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> <snip>
>
> Do we want to have a "call for volunteers" soon?  Or do you want to
> make more progress first?
>
> -Rob

Today I'm at just four pages to end the first bare-bones draft for the
Writer guide. Beside the fact that I can also write the draft for a Math
guide I think it is time to think about a call for people that can fill the
holes on what I wrote, check my clumsy grammar and start writing on those
topic I cannot write (Calc, Base, Impress, Draw, Asiatic/complex layout
language settings and macros).

Maybe we can do the call on two steps, calling first on the forums and
users mailing list for people with experience on the program (on the forums
there are many experienced users) and only afterwards make a more general
call: to write a complete user guide good will is not enough.

What do you think?

Regards
Ricardo

RE: [Discuss]Call for volunteers [Was: Re: Starting to build the user guide]

Posted by Salva <sa...@open-office.es>.
English:

Hello

Not fluent in English, so this is a translation from Google Translate in Spanish my original note (below)

I think it can be solved elegantly using a template and categories

We can create a template called Status, you simply assign certain categories page.
For example:

{{Status | Draft | RGB-es}}

Inserts the entry into the category page "Draft", and subcategory page "Draft by RGB-es"
When the page is revised, we can change the template for

{{Status | Review | Pescetti}}

Insert the entry into the category page "Review", subcategory page "Review by Pescetti"

Finally, when the page has been approved for publication, simply remove the entry {{Status | NNNN | YYYY}} of it.
The entries in the category and subcategory pages automatically disappear.

If you think it, I can create the template structure, and you only have to decide which categories will be required. Modifying the template {{Status}} we can add new categories as needed.

regards

Español:

Hola

No domino el inglés, así que esto es una traducción de Google Traductor de mi nota original en español (más abajo)

Creo que se puede solucionar de forma elegante utilizando una plantilla y categorías

Podemos crear una plantilla llamada Status, que sencillamente asigne a la página determinadas categorías.
Por ejemplo:

{{Status|Draft|RGB-es}}

Inserta la entrada en la página de categoría "Draft", y en la página de subcategoría "Draft by RBG-es"

Cuando la página sea revisada, podemos cambiar la plantilla por

{{Status|Review|Pescetti}}

Insertará la entrada en la página de categoría "Review", y en la página de subcategoría "Review by Pescetti"

Finalmente, cuando la página haya sido aprobada para su publicación, sencillamente eliminamos la entrada {{Status|NNNN|AAAA}} de la misma. Las entradas en las páginas de categoría y subcategoría desaparecen automáticamente.

Si os parece bien, puedo crear la estructura de plantillas, y tan sólo teneis que decidir las categorías que serán necesarias. Modificando la plantilla {{Status}} podemos agregar nuevas categorías, según necesidad.

Saludos

Salva

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/2/19 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM, RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> forums
> general
> >>>

> >> I'll send a call to the EN forums on a couple of days. The main message
> >> should be:
> >>
> >> if you are an experimented user, help us to write
> >> if you are a new user, help us to test what it is written
> >> if you are a non native English speaker, don't worry: we have editors
> >>
> >> Tomorrow I'll try to write it down on a nice way.
> >>

> > I did the call on the forums two weeks ago... without success. I think
> it's
> > time for a broad call for volunteers: I'm getting quite close to the
> limits
> > of what I can write.
> >

> Do you have a link to the forum post?  I can try turning it into a blog
> post.
>
> > BTW, someone needs to review the last article about Bézier curves on Draw
> >

> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/Draw/Tools/Bezier
> >
> > I'm quite sure that it displays the worst English of which I'm capable ;)
> >

> It is not clear to me what the workflow is with the editing.   For example:
>
> 1) How do I know what pages need editing?  How do I know whether
> someone else has already started editing a page?
>
> 2) Do pages need technical review (verifying steps, etc.) as well as
> editing?  If so, in what order?
>
> Maybe this already exists, and it already exists, but it might help to
> have a series of page tags for things like:
>
> 1) This page is being drafted by XXX and is not ready for review yet
>
> 2) This page has been drafted and is ready for editing
>
> 3) This page is currently being edited by XXX
>
> 4) This page is done editing and is ready for technical review
>
> 5) This page is being reviewed by XXX for technical contents
>
> 6) This page is ready for final review/approval
>
> 7) This page is approved for publication
>
> Or is this overkill?  But I think there is the very practical
> question:  if we have more volunteers how do we coordinate so we're
> not duplicating effort?

Maybe just a bit overkill... :)

What about a "status page" on the wiki? Maybe a table with links to every
single page on the guide and columns to identify who is working, where and
which is the status of every page.

I can think on the following columns:

page link
short description/notes
volunteers
status

Maybe we can set a "list of codes" to simplify the status column

Anything else?

I'm a bit short of time these days, so I cannot start this page right now,
sorry.

The thread with the call on the forum is this one

http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=59339

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM, RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'll send a call to the EN forums on a couple of days. The main message
>>> should be:
>>>
>>> if you are an experimented user, help us to write
>>> if you are a new user, help us to test what it is written
>>> if you are a non native English speaker, don't worry: we have editors
>>>
>>> Tomorrow I'll try to write it down on a nice way.
>>>

>> I did the call on the forums two weeks ago... without success. I think it's
>> time for a broad call for volunteers: I'm getting quite close to the limits
>> of what I can write.
>>

> Do you have a link to the forum post?  I can try turning it into a blog post.
>
>> BTW, someone needs to review the last article about Bézier curves on Draw
>>
>> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/Draw/Tools/Bezier
>>
>> I'm quite sure that it displays the worst English of which I'm capable ;)
>>

> It is not clear to me what the workflow is with the editing.   For example:
>
> 1) How do I know what pages need editing?  How do I know whether
> someone else has already started editing a page?
>
> 2) Do pages need technical review (verifying steps, etc.) as well as
> editing?  If so, in what order?
>
> Maybe this already exists, and it already exists, but it might help to
> have a series of page tags for things like:
>
> 1) This page is being drafted by XXX and is not ready for review yet
>
> 2) This page has been drafted and is ready for editing
>
> 3) This page is currently being edited by XXX
>
> 4) This page is done editing and is ready for technical review
>
> 5) This page is being reviewed by XXX for technical contents
>
> 6) This page is ready for final review/approval
>
> 7) This page is approved for publication
>
> Or is this overkill?  But I think there is the very practical
> question:  if we have more volunteers how do we coordinate so we're
> not duplicating effort?

I do not think it is overkill, and some of the tags already exist as
template files and the rest should not be that difficult to create. By
doing them as template files you can also assign categories that can be
searched to find say documents that need technical content review or
Need Final Review, etc.

A list of the documentation templates that currently exits is in the
Wiki Editing Policy document at:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/Wiki_Editing_Policy#List_of_Existing_Documentation_Templates
Regards
Keith

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Ahlers <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Ricardo,

I'll take a look at it tomorrow.  I've made it through most of what you wrote for Writer last weekend.

Steve

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
It read as follows

MWHttpRequest::factory: allow_url_fopen needs to be enabled for pure PHP
http requests to work. If possible, curl should be used instead. See
http://php.net/curl.

Backtrace:

#0 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/HttpFunctions.php(67):
MWHttpRequest::factory('http://challeng...', Array)
#1 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/HttpFunctions.php(88):
Http::request('GET', 'http://challeng...', Array)
#2 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/extensions/ConfirmEdit/Asirra.class.php(50):
Http::get('http://challeng...')
#3 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/extensions/ConfirmEdit/Captcha.php(514):
Asirra->passCaptcha()
#4 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/extensions/ConfirmEdit/ConfirmEditHooks.php(35):
SimpleCaptcha->confirmUserCreate(Object(User), '')
#5 [internal function]:
ConfirmEditHooks::confirmUserCreate(Object(User), '')
#6 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/Hooks.php(216):
call_user_func_array('ConfirmEditHook...', Array)
#7 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/GlobalFunctions.php(3823):
Hooks::run('AbortNewAccount', Array)
#8 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/specials/SpecialUserlogin.php(397):
wfRunHooks('AbortNewAccount', Array)
#9 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/specials/SpecialUserlogin.php(216):
LoginForm->addNewAccountInternal()
#10 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/specials/SpecialUserlogin.php(161):
LoginForm->addNewAccount()
#11 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/SpecialPage.php(611):
LoginForm->execute(NULL)
#12 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/SpecialPageFactory.php(494):
SpecialPage->run(NULL)
#13 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/Wiki.php(290):
SpecialPageFactory::executePath(Object(Title), Object(RequestContext))
#14 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/Wiki.php(537): MediaWiki->performRequest()
#15 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/Wiki.php(447): MediaWiki->main()
#16 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/index.php(59): MediaWiki->run()
#17 {main}

--
Andrew Pitonyak

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
Yeah!

Posted by Rakesh Thakoordyal <ra...@rogers.com>.

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.

#0 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/HttpFunctions.php(67): MWHttpRequest::factory('http://challeng...', Array)
#1 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/HttpFunctions.php(88): Http::request('GET', 'http://challeng...', Array)
#2 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/extensions/ConfirmEdit/Asirra.class.php(50): Http::get('http://challeng...')
#3 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/extensions/ConfirmEdit/Captcha.php(514): Asirra->passCaptcha()
#4 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/extensions/ConfirmEdit/ConfirmEditHooks.php(35): SimpleCaptcha->confirmUserCreate(Object(User), '')
#5 [internal function]: ConfirmEditHooks::confirmUserCreate(Object(User), '')
#6 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/Hooks.php(216): call_user_func_array('ConfirmEditHook...', Array)
#7 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/GlobalFunctions.php(3823): Hooks::run('AbortNewAccount', Array)
#8 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/specials/SpecialUserlogin.php(397): wfRunHooks('AbortNewAccount', Array)
#9 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/specials/SpecialUserlogin.php(216): LoginForm->addNewAccountInternal()
#10 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/specials/SpecialUserlogin.php(161): LoginForm->addNewAccount()
#11 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/SpecialPage.php(611): LoginForm->execute(NULL)
#12 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/SpecialPageFactory.php(494): SpecialPage->run(NULL)
#13 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/Wiki.php(290): SpecialPageFactory::executePath(Object(Title), Object(RequestContext))
#14 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/Wiki.php(537): MediaWiki->performRequest()
#15 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/includes/Wiki.php(447): MediaWiki->main()
#16 /x1/mwiki-1.20.2live/index.php(59): MediaWiki->run()
#17 {main}

________________________________

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

--
Andrew Pitonyak

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.

--
Andrew Pitonyak

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/1/28 Amber C. Lee <hc...@gmail.com>

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been trolling for a short while, so I thought I'd add my skills to the
> pile:
>
> I work as resource coordinator/ educational program design (not
> programming). My strengths are technical writing, documentation and
> editing. I wouldn't consider myself a power user of the software, but I
> will glady review any documents for structure, grammar, spelling, etc,
> needed.

Yes, please! For sure my English needs to be reviewed!

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by "Amber C. Lee" <hc...@gmail.com>.
Hello everyone,

Posted by Rakesh Thakoordyal <ra...@rogers.com>.

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 01/27/2013 03:20 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:

> Due to licensing constraints on the 3.3 and earlier documentation the
> 4.0 documentation is being done as a complete re-write on the the
> mwiki under ALV2 license. To see the current stage of the drafts go
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide and take a
> look at them. Anyone can read the wiki anonymously; however if you
> want to edit pages you need an account. To create one click the
> "create account" in the top left corner of the page and fill in the
> form and submit it. I believe we are still enforcing a 4 day wait
> period after the account is created before being able to edit anything
> as an anti-spam measure.

Assume that any parts that originated from me may be used directly.
Changes made by others would require their permission of course, but a
few of the chapters started with documents that I created. This means a
couple of chapters about macros.

--
Andrew Pitonyak

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ricardo,

2013/1/27 RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>

> 2013/1/21 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>
>
> > <snip>
> >
> > Do we want to have a "call for volunteers" soon?  Or do you want to
> > make more progress first?
> >
> > -Rob
> >

> Today I'm at just four pages to end the first bare-bones draft for the
> Writer guide. Beside the fact that I can also write the draft for a Math
> guide I think it is time to think about a call for people that can fill the
> holes on what I wrote, check my clumsy grammar and start writing on those
> topic I cannot write (Calc, Base, Impress, Draw, Asiatic/complex layout
> language settings and macros).
>
> Maybe we can do the call on two steps, calling first on the forums and
> users mailing list for people with experience on the program (on the forums
> there are many experienced users) and only afterwards make a more general
> call: to write a complete user guide good will is not enough.
>
> What do you think?

I'm working on a fr documentation (.odt format) for the Educoo.org project.
As we propose traditionally what we do to the parent project, I've adopted
the ALv2.0 license for this documentation. So, if desired, I could post a
first part Wednesday, before travelling  to the fosdem,  and the group can
decide if some parts could be reused here or not.
If interested, I could accelerate the release of Impress and Calc after the
FOSDEM.
Writer is also already written but needs a rework because I have tried to
extract the common concepts to all the modules in a separate part,
following your suggestion.
Of course, the big inconvenient is the fr language, but I haven't the
required level to write or translate this doc in English.
Many thanks for your hard work and your investment in this documentation
project.

--
gw

Re: [Discuss]Call for volunteers [Was: Re: Starting to build the user guide]

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hello Steve,

2013/2/8 Steve Ahlers <sa...@yahoo.com>

> Is there any preference between American English and UK English? The
> translation uses UK spelling which distracts me when proofing and editing,
> but it is something I can live with if it is preferred.

As a non native English speaker, it's difficult for me to answer.
But I think that you should adopt the most confortable approach for you.

A+
--
gw

Re: [Discuss]Call for volunteers [Was: Re: Starting to build the user guide]

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Steve,

Steve Ahlers schrieb:
> Is there any preference between American English and UK English? The
translation uses UK spelling which distracts me when proofing and
editing, but it is something I can live with if it is preferred.

for OpenOffice.org en-US was preferred. And still en-US is always
delivered as default for UI and help.

Kind regards
Regina

Re: [Discuss]Call for volunteers [Was: Re: Starting to build the user guide]

Posted by Steve Ahlers <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Is there any preference between American English and UK English? The translation uses UK spelling which distracts me when proofing and editing, but it is something I can live with if it is preferred.

Steve
Sent from my iPad

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrea,

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/1/27 Rob Weir <ra...@gmail.com>

> On Jan 27, 2013, at 10:17 AM, RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2013/1/21 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>
> >
> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> Do we want to have a "call for volunteers" soon?  Or do you want to
> >> make more progress first?
> >>
> >> -Rob
> >

> > Today I'm at just four pages to end the first bare-bones draft for the
> > Writer guide. Beside the fact that I can also write the draft for a Math
> > guide I think it is time to think about a call for people that can fill
> the
> > holes on what I wrote, check my clumsy grammar and start writing on those
> > topic I cannot write (Calc, Base, Impress, Draw, Asiatic/complex layout
> > language settings and macros).
> >
> > Maybe we can do the call on two steps, calling first on the forums and
> > users mailing list for people with experience on the program (on the
> forums
> > there are many experienced users) and only afterwards make a more general
> > call: to write a complete user guide good will is not enough.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >

> So our ideal volunteer is:
>
> 1) Already familiar with OpenOffice. They are a user. (A power user?
> How do we describe the needed experience level?)
>
> 2) Can collaborate with others in English on the mailing list. But
> does not need to have native facility. Well have editors who can clean
> up rough drafts.
>
> 3) Ideally some experience with technical writing or a motivation to
> develop these skills.

+1 to all three points

> (Do we want also graphic artists, do design a cover, or to create nice
> looking diagrams?  Or is everything just screen shots?)

For the time being, there are just screen shots. But on the Draw and
Impress guide someone with good background as graphic artist could be
interesting.

> Maybe also state that we also welcome contributions, under Apache
> License, of existing written materials that may be of use for our
> efforts.

+1

> If we can describe the skill level we are looking for we should be
> able to advertise this broadly.   But we should also think of tasks
> that even new users can do. In a sense new users are quite valuable,
> since they can "test" draft documentation to verify that the
> instructions are accurate and not relying on missing steps and
> assumptions.

Indeed. For a "power user" some steps can be regarded as granted: Testing
the documentation for missing steps is a must.

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by Rob Weir <ra...@gmail.com>.