Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by lightbulb432 <ve...@hotmail.com> on 2007/02/14 16:46:39 UTC

Update before commit

Is an update before a commit necessary, or will Subversion tell you when a
repository has been updated since you checked out your working copy and
REQUIRE an update?

Does this depend on whether somebody has made a change to *anything* in the
repository (hence increasing the revision number of the project), or whether
they've made a change to the files you've changed in your repository?

I ask because I read an article about continuous integration that says the
build on the integration server might fail if you forget to update before
checking in...that sounds scary and like there's no failure from Subversion
when something like this happens (isn't that the kind of thing that version
control prevents)?

Re: [RFE] Update before commit

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 2/14/07, lightbulb432 <ve...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> So it's only refused when a change happens to a file that you've changed? If
> somebody changes a different file in the repository (but that still has
> dependencies with the file you've changed), the code in the repository could
> still break, right, even though the commit is accepted?
>
> Any strategies for resolving such a case to ensure the repository contains a
> fully functioning code base, or is this a usual part of the development
> process?
>
> (e.g. Any way of declaring a dependency of one file on another so that you
> can't commit a file without first resolving conflicts not only in that file
> itself, but in files you've declared that it depends on. If not, any
> thoughts about this as a feature request?)

Subversion has no concept of inter-file dependencies. Sounds more like
the responsibility of a build system or development environment, not a
version control system.

Re: Re: Update before commit

Posted by Dave Grundgeiger <da...@codenouveau.com>.
> Could two developers who have just done an update to their working copy
> and
> are doing two different parts of the code (with a dependency to each other
> though) do a build/test cycle locally and determine their changes are
> good.
>
> Developer 1 commits his changes, then developer 2. Because developer 2
> didn't modify the same files that developer 1 did, this second commit goes
> through successfully. But because those files are dependent on each other,
> the repository doesn't build?
>
> Of course the odds of this happening aren't great, but is what I've
> described a possible scenario (or am I missing something)? How would you
> get
> around this or handle this when it happens?

This is why I love continuous integration. In this situation the automatic
build will fail, send an email to the team, and developer 2 will fix it or
talk to developer 1 as necessary.

Dave

Dave Grundgeiger
CodeNouveau, LLC
Develop .NET Software with Open-Source Tools
http://www.codenouveau.com

Re: Update before commit

Posted by Greg Thomas <th...@omc.bt.co.uk>.
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:30:16 -0800 (PST), lightbulb432
<ve...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>If it's the latter case, that sounds like a good plan for protection, but in
>huge projects with lots of developers and frequent commits, wouldn't you be
>doing update after update after update just to try to get in that one
>commit?

No. "svn update" will take you to the last committed version. "svn
commit" will then commit your changes. Yes, it is theoretically
possible someone could commit a change between your "update" and
"commit", but if other people are regularly making changes to the
files that you are also making changes too, then you've got bigger
problems than source code management.

Greg
--
This post represents the views of the author and does
not necessarily accurately represent the views of BT.

Re: Update before commit

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 15, 2007, at 10:30, lightbulb432 wrote:

> Oooh, I think I've been getting mixed up between the behavior of
> merge and
> commit. With merge, I understand that non-conflicting and
> conflicting-but-mergeable changes are merged without even asking the
> developer.
>
> But with commit, is that the same behavior (where if you do a
> commit but
> somebody has made a non-conflicting or conflicting-but-mergeable
> change, it
> STILL commits), or will it say "your working copy was based on
> revision 10,
> the repository is now on revision 15...even though there are no
> conflicting
> changes, you're gonna have to do an update before I let you commit
> even
> though you've edited different files than revisions 11 through 15"?
>
> If it's the latter case, that sounds like a good plan for
> protection, but in
> huge projects with lots of developers and frequent commits,
> wouldn't you be
> doing update after update after update just to try to get in that one
> commit?

If the files you are modifying have been modified by someone else
since the last time you updated, you will be told that your files are
out of date and you must update first before you can commit. However,
if changes have been made in the repository to other files that you
are not modifying in this commit, then your commit will be allowed to
proceed.

RE: RE: Re: Update before commit

Posted by Ch...@qimonda.com.
Merge applies the deltas between the repository files and
your checked out files, to YOUR checked out files.

Commit applies the deltas between the repository files and
your checked out files, to the REPOSITORY files.

RE: Re: Update before commit

Posted by lightbulb432 <ve...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Update before commit

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 14, 2007, at 14:35, lightbulb432 wrote:

> Could two developers who have just done an update to their working
> copy and
> are doing two different parts of the code (with a dependency to
> each other
> though) do a build/test cycle locally and determine their changes
> are good.
>
> Developer 1 commits his changes, then developer 2. Because developer 2
> didn't modify the same files that developer 1 did, this second
> commit goes
> through successfully. But because those files are dependent on each
> other,
> the repository doesn't build?
>
> Of course the odds of this happening aren't great, but is what I've
> described a possible scenario (or am I missing something)? How
> would you get
> around this or handle this when it happens?

Yes, that's technically possible. If the changes are in different
files, then Subversion will happily let you commit the changes.
However, I cannot think of a way that doing so could break a project.
Well, maybe I could...

developers 1 and 2 get working copies.

file foo contains a function foo() that does something, and various
files in the project use foo().

developer 1 renames function foo() to bar() and updates the reference
in all files that used foo() so that they now use bar().

developer 2 writes a new file which uses foo().

Both developers commit. Now, what's in the repository doesn't work --
developer 2's code uses foo() which is not called that anymore.

But I would think this situation wouldn't occur that often. I would
think that developers should communicate with one another, via email
or meetings or similar, letting one another know what they're doing.
If developer 1 planned to rename the function, this should have been
a consensus among the developers. Or the other developers should at
least have been informed that a public function was about to change
names. And so forth.

RE: Re: Update before commit

Posted by lightbulb432 <ve...@hotmail.com>.

RE: Re: [RFE] Update before commit