Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> on 2019/10/02 23:00:22 UTC

Re: 4.2 modeler change

One advantage of an html/js frontend would be to offer a service on our
website into which a user could paste their DDL as SQL, and get back:

1. a Cayenne map xml

2. a visual representation of their schema [1]

3. an editor which allows them to make changes

4. The ability to export an updated DDL

5. Some sort of sharing link so they can share and discuss with co-workers

Here's a company I just found doing something similar.
https://www.dbdesigner.net/

The main advantage of this approach is to give Cayenne greater exposure.
People come for the tool and walk away with a whole ORM.

I'm ccing this to the dev@ list where it makes more sense.

Ari

[1] Like this
https://www.mysql.com/common/images/products/MySQL_Workbench_Visual_Design_Mac.png

Re: 4.2 modeler change

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
While I like the idea of having something visual and DB-centric that people can use for various purposes, I still can't wrap my head around of how to do modeling away from access to the real DB and my Java projects. To me the main value of the Modeler (since 4.1 anyways) is "cdbimport" and "cgen". (Meaning most of the actual modeling happening in SQL migration scripts).

Andrus

Re: 4.2 modeler change

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ari,