Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@apache.org> on 2021/03/05 07:05:35 UTC

GSoC21 Mentor Eligibility

All,

Does ASF require that mentors for GSoC21 are committers or PMC members
of the project, or can it be any community contributor recognised by
PMCs?

Regards.

Re: GSoC21 Mentor Eligibility

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 at 00:05, Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree - as long as we can "trust" the person to be a good enough mentor
> i.e. to be skillfull enough with CloudStack in terms of it's architecture
> and coding -

I would say such a great person must be commiter :))))

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: GSoC21 Mentor Eligibility

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: GSoC21 Mentor Eligibility

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
I agree - as long as we can "trust" the person to be a good enough mentor
i.e. to be skillfull enough with CloudStack in terms of it's architecture
and coding - otherwise it can be a "bad marketing" to allow about anyone to

--

Andrija Panić

Re: GSoC21 Mentor Eligibility

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.

--

Andrija Panić

Re: GSoC21 Mentor Eligibility

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
As I wrote before: everything is OK if the mentor has ACK from PMC :)

On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 at 19:56, Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have mentored a GSoC student without being a committer back in 2016 (but
> with a committer as co-mentor), it was a great experience and helped in my
> path to committership. I think we should definitely encourage non-committer
> mentors, as long as there is a committer as co-mentor or recognition by the
> PMC.
>
> Em sex., 5 de mar. de 2021 às 04:18, Rohit Yadav <ro...@gmail.com>
> escreveu:
>
> > Thanks Furkan, Maxim.
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 12:44 PM Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I would say there are no hard limits here :)
> > > The only thing that is MUST: mentor should be ACKed by PMC
> > >
> > > But IMO mentoring will be much easier with commit access to the project
> > :)

> > members
> by

> > > --
> > > Best regards,
> > > Maxim

Best regards,
Maxim

Re: GSoC21 Mentor Eligibility

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
As I wrote before: everything is OK if the mentor has ACK from PMC :)

On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 at 19:56, Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have mentored a GSoC student without being a committer back in 2016 (but
> with a committer as co-mentor), it was a great experience and helped in my
> path to committership. I think we should definitely encourage non-committer
> mentors, as long as there is a committer as co-mentor or recognition by the
> PMC.
>
> Em sex., 5 de mar. de 2021 às 04:18, Rohit Yadav <ro...@gmail.com>
> escreveu:
>
> > Thanks Furkan, Maxim.
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 12:44 PM Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I would say there are no hard limits here :)
> > > The only thing that is MUST: mentor should be ACKed by PMC
> > >
> > > But IMO mentoring will be much easier with commit access to the project
> > :)

> > members
> by

> > > --