Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/22 20:26:16 UTC

Re: Facing Issues with velocity sortTool to sort Two java.util.Date Type

Could you be more specific about what you mean by "not working"?  What
happens?  The code sample looks like you are already implementing the
search pattern you want.  Why not just try:

$sorter.sort(${campaign.notes})

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
If there is an exception (like a NullPointerException) during sorting,
then SortTool will return null.  The null field is apparently causing
an exception.  I'm not sure why, but i would guess that it is because
the java.util.Date class' compareTo method doesn't like it when you
pass in null as an argument.  SortTool never calls compareTo on a null
object, but it will pass null objects in to compareTo (e.g.
myNotNullComparable.compareTo(nullComparable) ).

That's the best guess i have for you.  You might try subclassing
SortTool to right your own sort method that can handle this situation.
 or just making your Note class comparable and doing
$sorter.sort(${notes}).