Posted to user@etch.apache.org by scott comer <we...@mac.com> on 2010/03/11 17:06:38 UTC

Re: sockopt error, C# runtime?

hi james. sorry to hear you are having trouble. i'm having a similar
problem with selector based
java code from the 1.1 release under windows 7. it doesn't always happen
for me. i think it is
a race condition in windows tcp stack.

please create an issue in jira for this. i will write myself a note to
create one for the java side.
this could be fixed in the pending 1.1 release, or in the 1.2 release.
the workaround is to just
attempt the start again after waiting a few tens of milliseconds. if you
like, please try that
technique for c# and let me know how that works...

as to your code generator, i think you're talking about a vs plugin to
call the compiler? or
it is a version of the c# compiler which packages the code up slightly
differently, or both?

i think better support for the ide's is good, we would have to discuss
in the group how
best to package and distribute such a thing.

thanks for getting involved!

scott out

RE: sockopt error, C# runtime?

Posted by James King <Ja...@Dell.com>.
I'm building from source now, I'll fix the socket options issue in the
runtime for C# locally at least, and send you a patch.

The code generator is a "Custom Tool" style generator which fully
integrates into the IDE.

It automatically compiles the .etch by running the java compiler and
then intelligently catenating the class library files (the ones you are
not supposed to touch) into a single .cs file.  That .cs file
automatically gets deposited in the IDE as a file under the .etch (in a
tree child), like the designer does with the forms and code (where the
code is a child).  Technically it is called a "Single File Code
Generator" in visual studio terms, however it is just running code so
you can do anything you want here, but the result has to be a byte[] of
code that Visual Studio then puts into the project and manages for you.

All you do is add the .etch to your project and it generates the class
library code.  Build the class library and you are done.  Make changes
to the Etch file in the IDE and save it, the generated code is
regenerated by Visual Studio through the generator COM object.  It takes
the Main* and Impl* files and puts them in another location for
reference.  I can post the README and TUTORIAL files if you like, or see
if I can find a place to put the project up for review.  Let me know.

I wanted to make an environment where you can modify the .etch file and
not have to leave the IDE, and that's what I ended up with.  It also
conforms more closely with typical C# development patterns of using a
class library.  Most of the examples I have seen thus far tell you to
generate the code and then make two copies of it, one for Client and one
for Server (or is it Listener?)

I'll also need to get approval here to contribute this back - shouldn't
be a problem.

- Jim

Re: sockopt error, C# runtime?

Posted by scott comer <we...@mac.com>.
oh, when you create the issue in jira (let me know if you have problem
with that and i can do it),
then attach your patch to the issue. it will ask you to agree to share
the code with apache, etc.

scott out

Re: sockopt error, C# runtime?

Posted by scott comer <we...@mac.com>.

Re: sockopt error, C# runtime?

Posted by scott comer <we...@mac.com>.
On 3/11/2010 1:19 PM, James King wrote:
> I have a bugfix for the C# runtime error on Windows 7 with
> get/setsockopt.  The SocketOptionLevel used when setting KeepAlive is
> incorrect.  In the codebase it is .Tcp, change this to .Socket and the
> problem goes away.  It looks like when you set KeepAlive on
> SocketOptionLevel.Tcp, it ends up trying to set Broadcast, which is
> invalid for TCP.

oh, so that is probably not the same bug as the intermittent (and rare)
problem i'm seeing in java
on win7.

do you have the ability to test that fix on win xp? no worries if you
can't, i have an xp machine
at work...

scott out

Re: sockopt error, C# runtime?