Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com> on 1998/07/24 18:33:07 UTC

Controling charset

Can someone point me to a discussion of charset handling
in Apache both in configuration directives and from
modules?

In the server I'm replacing the user configured the
charset and the mime type of his responses independently
via pattern matching ordered by the hierarchy implied by
the URI paths.  My module emulates that behavior, slamming
the content_type in the prolog of the content_handler.

I'm concerned that I don't see any other examples of
content_type getting set with a charset clause in the
server.

What's the user expected to do if he has a directory
full of utf-8 output from his Java hackery?

  - ben hyde

Re: Controling charset

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Ben Hyde wrote:

> I was curious if a more complex design had ever
> been considered?

I think it's nascent on the 2.0 wishlist.. :-)  I started to
look at it once (look for a PR from Israel, and the new-httpd
mail from around that time), and got convinced that the effort
involved wasn't appropriate for 1.3 -- which was, after all,
only supposed to be the Win32 port. :->

#ken	P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://WWW.Dummies.Com/

Re: Controling charset

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.
Rodent of Unusual Size writes:
 > At the moment, something like
 >
 > 	AddType "text/html;charset=...." .html
 >
 > in the appropriate .htaccess file.

Yes, thank you Ken.

Re: Controling charset

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

	:
> What's the user expected to do if he has a directory
> full of utf-8 output from his Java hackery?

At the moment, something like

	AddType "text/html;charset=...." .html

in the appropriate .htaccess file.

I remember there being a PR on this that was closed with
that response; look for "charset" in closed PRs.

#ken	P-)}