Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Mark Leicester <ma...@metering.co.nz> on 2003/08/06 07:03:45 UTC

MIDI block (was: Another music proposal)

On 4/08/2003 21:03, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@codeconsult.ch>
wrote:

> To me most or all recognizable signature tunes usually become boring once you
> hear them repeatedly.
Quite right. Actually "infuriating" might be even more accurate.

> Are you planning on attending the GetTogether 2003?
Regrettably no, I shall be back in my home country of New Zealand by October
7th; about as far from Belgium as anyone can be - but I guess a jam via
webcam isn't completely out of the question :)

Anyhow, here is my first block. This is the MIDI generator, a test case, two
sample MIDI files, and a sample pipeline. What is the normal course of
action now? Do I ask a committer nicely to commit it for me? If so, here is
my block for you, urrr "on a block" as it were.

Attached is the block in a zip, and this is the gump entry (I think this is
correct?):

  <project name="cocoon-block-midi" status="unstable">
    <package>org.apache.cocoon</package>

    <ant target="gump-block">
      <property name="block-name" value="midi"/>
      <property name="version" value="@@DATE@@"/>
    </ant>

    <depend project="cocoon" inherit="all"/>

    <work nested="tools/anttasks"/>
    <home nested="build/cocoon-@@DATE@@"/>

    <jar name="blocks/midi-block.jar"/>

    <nag from="Gump" to="dev@cocoon.apache.org"/>
  </project>

Thanks everyone for all your help - especially the pointers and advice on
test cases! Stephan, did I mention that your Cocoon testing code is
fantastic and very easy to use. Can you tell that I'm impressed?!

Mark

Re: MIDI block - copyright issue

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Le Mercredi, 6 aoû 2003, à 14:03 Europe/Zurich, Vadim Gritsenko a écrit
:

> ...I'm not very comfortable with this either. I think one option would
> be to use P.A.Loeb's work as-is, i.e. add a jar with his classes.
> Another option - and even better - is to ask P.A.Loeb to transfer
> copyright for this particular derivative work to ASF so we can remove
> (c) notice. We can still have an acknowledgement that code based on
> his work as in shown in the example above.

Sounds good - Mark, could you take care of asking P.A.Loeb about this?

Basically we'd like him to allow you to donate your MIDIGenerator code
to the ASF, without having to mention him as the copyright holder.

If he agrees, I think a notice like this one should be sufficient and
would not cause any legal problems with the ASF:

	The MIDI file parsing parts of this class are based on code from the
XMidi project, written
	by  Peter Arthur Loeb (http://www.palserv.com/XMidi/) and used with
permission.
	The warranty disclaimer of the MIT license
(http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.html)
	applies to Peter Arthur Loeb's code.

The alternative, as Vadim mentions, would be to include P.A.Loeb's code
as a jar with the appropriate license, but this would require you to
refactor your MIDIGenerator.

-Bertrand

Re: MIDI block - copyright issue

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Mercredi, 6 aoû 2003, à 07:03 Europe/Zurich, Mark Leicester a écrit :
>
>> ...Attached is the block in a zip, and this is the gump entry (I
>> think this is
>> correct?):
>

> I compiled your block and technically everything is ok, great!
>
> I have a problem with the copyright notice of your MIDI generator
> though, I reproduce it below in case others want to comment.
>
> Question to Mark:
> IIUC your code is based on P.A.Loeb's work and he wants to retain the
> copyright on it, is that right?
> I don't think the mit-license is a problem as it allows you to do
> anything with the code, but I'm not sure about the copyright.
>
> Question to the Cocoon team:
> is that ok to have such code here, where parts are copyrighted by
> non-ASF entities?

I know of one case, where code copyright holder is ASF but algorithm is
copyrighted by somebody else (hm, can you (c) an algorithm?). Here is
the file:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon-2.1/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/util/HashUtil.java?rev=1.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

> I'm not too comfortable with these legal issues, hopefully someone
> else can help here.
> Once the legal stuff is ok, I'd be happy to commit the block.

I'm not very comfortable with this either. I think one option would be
to use P.A.Loeb's work as-is, i.e. add a jar with his classes. Another
option - and even better - is to ask P.A.Loeb to transfer copyright for
this particular derivative work to ASF so we can remove (c) notice. We
can still have an acknowledgement that code based on his work as in
shown in the example above.

Vadim

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Re: MIDI block (was: Another music proposal)

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Mark,

Great to see you're ready to donate the midi block. I suggest you submit your patch to
Bugzilla (http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/). Then all committers will see it, and
hopefully one will pick it up and commit it.

You can submit as an archive all of your new files, and also a patch file for all files
that have changed.

Regards, Upayavira

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Le Mercredi, 6 aoû 2003, à 07:03 Europe/Zurich, Mark Leicester a écrit :

> ...Anyhow, here is my first block. This is the MIDI generator, a test
> case, two
> sample MIDI files, and a sample pipeline. What is the normal course of
> action now? Do I ask a committer nicely to commit it for me? If so,
> here is
> my block for you, urrr "on a block" as it were...

The normal way is to create a patch on bugzilla, but I took your zip
and it looks ok, I'm testing the block as we speak and will commit it
later today.

-Bertrand