Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> on 2008/06/03 23:57:59 UTC

[OT] This is pretty slick take a look

http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?view=plot&path=%2Fdirectory&kind=day&kind=week

Alex

Re: [OT] This is pretty slick take a look

Posted by Yeliz Eseryel <ye...@alum.syracuse.edu>.
This is very cool! Thanks for sharing!

By the way, directory has the 12th highest number of commits among the
projects.
(I don't count the incubator and Jakarta since they are combined projects)

Way to go guys!

--
Yeliz Eseryel
Ph.D Candidate in Information Science & Technology

Uğur Yeliz Eseryel
Bilişim Bilimi ve Teknolojisi Doktora Öğrencisi
Siraküs Evrenkenti :)

TÜRKÇE KONUŞ!!!!
evde, arabada, kafede, okulda, genel ağda [internet], telefonda,
arkadaşınla, ailenle, öğretmenlerinle, müdürünle, dostunla, mesaj yazarken,
mektup yazarken, e-posta yazarken, olay anlatırken, kitap anlatırken,
dedikodu yaparken, öğrenirken, öğretirken, sorarken, cevaplarken TÜRKÇE
KONUŞ...

Re: [OT] This is pretty slick take a look

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>

>> http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?view=plot&path=%2Fdirectory&kind=day&kind=week
>>
>> Alex
>>

> And what about this one ? :
>
> http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?view=plot&plotsort=commits&path=%2F&kind=day&kind=week
>
> Seems like Alex is committer #6 out of the 1763 ASF committers !!! With
> 6000 commits, he generated 1% of all the commits in SVN :)

He he, I usually commit large blocks of changes at once - LOL maybe I should
start breaking them up to keep my rank.  And WTF ohloh is just raping me on
my stats :D.

Seriously though these metrics mean nothing if others have to fix your nasty
code all the time: which is the case for me.  I wrote a lot of craptastic
code while in the incubator to shed dependencies imposing IP issues.  This
was all done to graduate the incubator.  Thanks to Emmanuel and others on
the team this code now has been replaced and I've learned better ways.

Some folks here have not committed much code, but we would not be here today
without them.

Take for example Noel Bergman who mentored Directory 5 years ago. He showed
us how to get this project off the ground, not to mention he had several of
the core concepts which are still to this day in the server.  Noel even came
up with many of the ideas which eventually lead to the creation of MINA.  He
was my personal mentor - I will never for get what he's done for Directory
and me personally.  Let's not forget our awesome documentation team (yeah an
OS project with a documentation team) who have committed several things in
the code but also tons of 2ndary doco.  Without them we would be bare and
users would scratch their heads and walk away.  We're certified and more
importantly compliant today thanks to the bugs fixed and leg work of Stefan
Zoerner to get us certified by the Open Group.  I cannot possible summarize
the awesome things Emmanuel has done.  Like wise for most of the others on
this team.

Also let's not forget our users.  Without them we have no purpose and no
feedback to home in on a better incarnation for the next major release.

There are many more I'd like to mention and forgive me since I've missed
many.  However I should stop here or this would turn into a love fest :).
Regardless, many of us have a reason to be proud of what was produced (not
referring to the code ).  This is a collective effort.

So code and repo flux is not the only measure for valuable community
members.  Everyone can have a different role and roles change over time.
The way this community has matured makes me prouder than any of the code
I've ever written.  If I or anyone else on this team were to disappear
tomorrow, Apache Directory would live on, and that's when you know we have
succeeded: look at what happened to OpenDS a sponsored community rather than
an organic one.  It's not really the code: code is just the substrate that
gives us a chance to collaborate.

Users flock to Apache Software due to the sense of security they have with
Apache Projects.  Users are more apt to invest their time to learn and
leverage Apache products because of the confidence they have in the staying
power of it's organic communities.  They're not wasting their time figuring
something out that will be here today and gone tomorrow.  Apache Communities
outlast individuals, their affiliations, and commercial products.  This then
feeds back into the ecosystem with more users, contributors, and committers.

So get ready! When projects like ours reach that inflection point of
feedback, the curve rapidly changes it's slope to boost adoption, and
progress.  A focus on essential community values and collaboration, rather
than the bulk commits of one or two committers, is critical for evolving to
and succeeding in this next wonderful stage.

Thanks,

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.