Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Pill, Juergen" <Ju...@softwareag.com> on 2004/01/21 10:12:41 UTC

[VOTE] Tamino store and user-role-management donation

Hello,

Software AG would like to donate the source code of its Tamino-based
store implementation (plus some add-ons) to the Jakarta-Slide project.
In particular we are considering following modules:

- Content and descriptors store implementations to access the Tamino
database
- A User-Role-Management component (URM) for authentication and
authorisation against pluggable user databases (e.g. LDAP, OS, Tamino)
and its integration into Slide (Realm, Security helper and store
implementations)
- Tools for, store configuration, XML schema access, monitoring and
repairing.
  Most of these tools have a command-line interface and also are
operable
  through a "magic" store implementation. For example, putting a file
called
  StartRepair.xml to the scope of the "magic" store in charge of repair
starts the repair process and leaves a log file at the same location.
Funny, ehh?
- Ant-based build process (packages with Tomcat)
- Nullsoft installation procedure (experimental, Windows only)

If you happen to vote in favor of this donation we suggest that we, in a
1st step, add all the stuff into CVS at a location proposals/tamino.
That wouldn't disturb the 2.0 release process now and opens the
possibility to take-over parts of it into src later.

Please vote!

Regards,
Juergen

Re: [VOTE] Tamino store and user-role-management donation

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.
"Pill, Juergen" <Ju...@softwareag.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Software AG would like to donate the source code of its Tamino-based
> store implementation (plus some add-ons) to the Jakarta-Slide project.
> In particular we are considering following modules:
>
> - Content and descriptors store implementations to access the Tamino
> database
> - A User-Role-Management component (URM) for authentication and
> authorisation against pluggable user databases (e.g. LDAP, OS, Tamino)
> and its integration into Slide (Realm, Security helper and store
> implementations)
> - Tools for, store configuration, XML schema access, monitoring and
> repairing.
>   Most of these tools have a command-line interface and also are
> operable
>   through a "magic" store implementation. For example, putting a file
> called
>   StartRepair.xml to the scope of the "magic" store in charge of repair
> starts the repair process and leaves a log file at the same location.
> Funny, ehh?
> - Ant-based build process (packages with Tomcat)
> - Nullsoft installation procedure (experimental, Windows only)
>
> If you happen to vote in favor of this donation we suggest that we, in a
> 1st step, add all the stuff into CVS at a location proposals/tamino.
> That wouldn't disturb the 2.0 release process now and opens the
> possibility to take-over parts of it into src later.

+1

Re: [VOTE] Tamino store and user-role-management donation

Posted by Michael Hartmeier <Mi...@softwareag.com>.
> > - Ant-based build process (packages with Tomcat)
>
> How does this compare to the targets I included last week?

It's an independent implementation. We have a URM realm and thus have to
copy special jar files into Tomcat. But I'm positive that we can merge
both targets.

Michael

Re: [VOTE] Tamino store and user-role-management donation

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
This sounds very good :) And of course my vote is +1

Pill, Juergen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Software AG would like to donate the source code of its Tamino-based
> store implementation (plus some add-ons) to the Jakarta-Slide project.
> In particular we are considering following modules:
>
> - Content and descriptors store implementations to access the Tamino
> database

What about the kernel store stuff. Would we need to replace augment it
as well? If so it might be easier to fix them directly in the src dir...
But anyway, having the stuff in the proposals section first is a very
good idea...

> - A User-Role-Management component (URM) for authentication and
> authorisation against pluggable user databases (e.g. LDAP, OS, Tamino)
> and its integration into Slide (Realm, Security helper and store
> implementations)
> - Tools for, store configuration, XML schema access, monitoring and
> repairing.
>   Most of these tools have a command-line interface and also are
> operable
>   through a "magic" store implementation. For example, putting a file
> called
>   StartRepair.xml to the scope of the "magic" store in charge of repair
> starts the repair process and leaves a log file at the same location.
> Funny, ehh?
> - Ant-based build process (packages with Tomcat)

How does this compare to the targets I included last week?

> - Nullsoft installation procedure (experimental, Windows only)
>
> If you happen to vote in favor of this donation we suggest that we, in a
> 1st step, add all the stuff into CVS at a location proposals/tamino.
> That wouldn't disturb the 2.0 release process now and opens the
> possibility to take-over parts of it into src later.

This sounds good. I will start a second vote today to create the 2.0
release branch. Taking over parts into src will be very easy then :)

Oliver

Re: [VOTE] Tamino store and user-role-management donation

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On 3 Feb 2004, at 04:17, Michael Hartmeier wrote:

> Oops, I didn't see that part of their license page.
>
> Ok, we have to sign this contract.
>
> As far as I understand, that's independent from the copyright header
> below, i.e. we could stick with "Copyright Software AG". Correct?

The ASF policy is that everything that a community works on in CVS has
to be owned by the ASF. Everything else must be licensed in a legally
compatible way but cannot be modified (if not with overwriting it with
a newer version, but developped somewhere else)

This means that if you stick your code in CVS with Copyright Software
AG, it would be fine since licensed in a compatible way, but we would
not be allowed to touch it so the contribution would not be as useful
as if it was given copyright to the ASF.

--
Stefano.

Re: [VOTE] Tamino store and user-role-management donation

Posted by Michael Hartmeier <Mi...@softwareag.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Top Level Domain

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On 22 Jan 2004, at 10:21, Oliver Zeigermann wrote:

> Michael Smith wrote:
>> I'm not currently an _active_ committer, so I'm not sure if I get a
>> vote, but +1 if I do.
>
> I was wondering about this voting stuff the other day and it turned
> out you only have a *binding* vote when you are member of the Jakarta
> PMC. If not you still have a vote, but a more informal one, I guess.

which is the main reason why I wanted Slide to have its own top level
domain and its own PMC: every committer to the Slide CVS modules should
have a binding vote... but since it's impossible to have a 400-people
PMC for jakarta (with 380 people that don't care about slide), that's
the main reason why I'm so against container projects which simply
create burocratic confusion and don't help anyone.

--
Stefano.

Re: [VOTE] Tamino store and user-role-management donation

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.

Posted by Michael Smith <ms...@speedlegal.com>.
Pill, Juergen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Software AG would like to donate the source code of its Tamino-based
> store implementation (plus some add-ons) to the Jakarta-Slide project.
> In particular we are considering following modules:

I'm not currently an _active_ committer, so I'm not sure if I get a
vote, but +1 if I do.

Thanks!

Mike

Re: [VOTE] Tamino store and user-role-management donation

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@c1-fse.de>.
Jürgen,

now we have the release branch and you have all +1's you can get, just
check that stuff into the CVS HEAD for us to see. I guess I am not the
only one who is curious :)

Oliver

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On 21 Jan 2004, at 10:12, Pill, Juergen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Software AG would like to donate the source code of its Tamino-based
> store implementation (plus some add-ons) to the Jakarta-Slide project.
> In particular we are considering following modules:
>
> - Content and descriptors store implementations to access the Tamino
> database
> - A User-Role-Management component (URM) for authentication and
> authorisation against pluggable user databases (e.g. LDAP, OS, Tamino)
> and its integration into Slide (Realm, Security helper and store
> implementations)
> - Tools for, store configuration, XML schema access, monitoring and
> repairing.
>   Most of these tools have a command-line interface and also are
> operable
>   through a "magic" store implementation. For example, putting a file
> called
>   StartRepair.xml to the scope of the "magic" store in charge of repair
> starts the repair process and leaves a log file at the same location.
> Funny, ehh?
> - Ant-based build process (packages with Tomcat)
> - Nullsoft installation procedure (experimental, Windows only)
>
> If you happen to vote in favor of this donation we suggest that we, in
> 1st step, add all the stuff into CVS at a location proposals/tamino.
> That wouldn't disturb the 2.0 release process now and opens the
> possibility to take-over parts of it into src later.
>
> Please vote!

As big +1 as I can.

While this helps marketing of SoftwareAG products, I think this is
fully deserved given the impressive amount of resources that the
company donated to this project and since I'm sure this is not
"abandon-ware" but something that can be useful to many, I restate my
+1 also to the plan of putting in /proposals first and factor in after
the first 2.0 beta release.

--
Stefano.

Re: [VOTE] Tamino store and user-role-management donation

Posted by Ingo Brunberg <ib...@fiz-chemie.de>.
Who would dare to say no to something that comes for free, so

+1

Ingo

Posted by Jacob Lund <jl...@qualiware.com>.
You guys are beautiful :-)

I am not sure if I have a say here, but if I do +1

/Jacob

Posted by Andy Redhead <an...@openinternetsolutions.com>.
Hi,

I'd like to vote as big a +1 as I can.

I'd love to get my hands on a "pluggable" user scheme for Slide, as this is
an area I was thinking about having a go at :)

Cheers

Andy