Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/01 11:37:40 UTC

Re: [GSoC][Proposal] Integration project to deploy and use Mesos on a CloudStack based cloud

On Apr 30, 2013, at 4:59 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> of the prime use-case is cluster computing frameworks on cloudstack. A
>>> cloudformation service will give users and administrators of cloudstack
>>> ability to manage and control a set of resources easily. The
>>> cloudformation
>>> will allow booting and configuring a set of VMs and form a cluster.
>>> Simple
>>> example would be LAMP stack. More complex clusters such as mesos or
>>> hadoop
>>> cluster requires a little more advanced configuration. There is already
>>> some work done by Chiradeep Vittal at this front [5] using route and
>>
>> it's using ruote: http://ruote.rubyforge.org
>>
>>> sinatra. In this project, I will implement cloudformation service and
>>> demonstrate how to run mesos cluster using it.
>>
>> You will create cloud formation templates that describe a mesos cluster
>>

>>> Mesos:
>>>
>>> Mesos is a resource management platform for clusters [2]. It aims to
>>> increase resource utilization of clusters by sharing cluster resources
>>> among multiple processing frameworks(like MapReduce, MPI, Graph
>>> Processing)
>>> or multiple instances of same framework. It provides efficient resource
>>> isolation through use of containers. Uses zookeeper for state
>>> maintenance
>>> and fault tolerance.
>>>
>>> What can run on mesos ?
>>>
>>> Spark: A cluster computing framework based on the Resilient Distributed
>>> Datasets (RDDs) abstraction. RDD is more generalized than MapReduce and
>>> can
>>> support iterative and interactive computation while retaining fault
>>> tolerance, scalability, data locality etc.
>>>
>>> Hadoop: Hadoop is fault tolerant and scalable distributed computing
>>> framework based on MapReduce abstraction.
>>>
>>> Begel: A graph processing framework based on pregel.
>>>
>>> and other frameworks like MPI, Hypertable.
>>>
>>> How to deploy mesos
>>>
>>> Mesos provides cluster installation scripts [7] for cluster deployment.
>>> There are also scripts available to deploy a cluster on Amazon EC2 [8].
>>
>> It would be nice to see if these scripts can be used as is with the
>> CloudStack EC2 service.
>>

>>> Deliverables:
>>>
>>> 1. Cloudformation service implementation on cloudstack.
>>>
>>> 2. Integration of cloudformation with cloudmonkey, CLI tool.
>>
>> 2. is a little confusing. I believe that what Chiradeep prototype runs on
>> the client side. What is needed is a server side implementation.
>> That way we could use existing cloudformation cli tools to talk to it.
>> I don't understand where cloudmonkey comes into play. CloudMonkey is a
>> cli for the CloudStack API. Unless you plan to integrate the
>> cloudformation API directly in the cloudstack source code, the
>> integration you propose is not clear to me.
>>

> Sebastien is correct. I intend to put in the query API server around the
> core of stack mate soon (as soon as I'm done helping on the internal
> loadbalancer). This will be written in Ruby.

Dharmesh I suggest you propose the following:

1-Deploy CloudStack and understand instance configuration/contextualization
2-Test and deploy Mesos on a set of CloudStack based VM, manually. Design/propose an automation framework.
3-Test stackmate and engage chiradeep (report bugs, make suggestion, make pull request)
4-Create cloud formation template to provision a Mesos Cluster
5-Compare with Apache Whirr or other cluster provisioning tools.
6-Potentially if you see a link with cloudmonkey, see how you could extend it to talk to stackmate in a similar manner that it talks to CloudStack.

You are pretty close and this is a very exciting projects, so go ahead, modify a bit your proposal and submit it.

Deadline for applications is this Friday May 3rd.

-sebastien

Re: [GSoC][Proposal] Integration project to deploy and use Mesos on a CloudStack based cloud

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On May 7, 2013, at 1:12 PM, Dharmesh Kakadia <dh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am able to create singel instance LAMP-stack with Chiradeeps's
> implementation. I will spend a little time, understanding his code (new to
> ruby). Will take it forward from there.
>
> Thanks,
> Dharmesh

That's great news, feel free to write a "how to" and blog it.

You can also write it in docbook xml format and send a patch. I have been including third party tools examples in our documentation in the Developer's guide under tools.

If you git clone cloudstack, then check under /docs/en-US you will see examples of xml files in docbook. Then check tools.xml ( i think that's the one).

-sebastien

Posted by Dharmesh Kakadia <dh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
Dharmesh,

I see your proposal in the google system, we will get back to you as soon as I know the next steps in the review process.

Posted by Dharmesh Kakadia <dh...@research.iiit.ac.in>.

Posted by Dharmesh Kakadia <dh...@gmail.com>.
I am not sure wheather my earlier mail reached or was dropped (I got
failure notice!!). So resending. Sorry incase it is a duplicate.

------

[...]

Thanks for suggesting clear proposal. I have submitted the proposal.