Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dasarath Weeratunge <da...@yahoo.com> on 2004/03/22 20:30:57 UTC

Geronimo/jsr 109 ws-at impl

Hi all,

Will Geronimo be using TyRex as its transaction manager?

For the jsr 109/ws-at impl, what we plan to do is write necessary axis
handlers and any other wrapper objects for
org.omg.CosTransactions.Coordinator etc. (for bridging) and hook up these
axis handlers with the transaction manager in the same way portable
interceptors are used with RMI/IIOP. This should work for both in coming
(ws->ejb) and out going (ejb->ws) invocations.

As a first step, I'm trying to setup a tm at the client end (a simple Java
program) and invoke an ejb with a tx-context. I also do NOT want to use any
container specific scripts (like the appclient of Sun J2EE RI) at the client
end since these could cause problems later when trying to integrate with
axis.

Can u guys suggest a tm and a J2EE container for this. I tried JOTM/JOnAS
and JOTM/JBoss and neither seems to work.

I was able to build TyRex1.0.1 on jdk1.4 after fixing some jdbc classes. Has
anyone had a look at its (TyRex's) OTS impl? (the tyrex.corba package) Does
it work at all? for example tyrex.corba.Current uses ORBInitInfo object even
after ORB initialization which is illegal. Is there a later version in which
these have been fixed?

Thanks

Dasarath

Re: Geronimo/jsr 109 ws-at impl

Posted by Srinath Perera <he...@cse.mrt.ac.lk>.
Posted by David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>.
On Monday, March 22, 2004, at 11:30 AM, Dasarath Weeratunge wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Will Geronimo be using TyRex as its transaction manager?

Definitely not.

> For the jsr 109/ws-at impl, what we plan to do is write necessary axis
> handlers and any other wrapper objects for
> org.omg.CosTransactions.Coordinator etc. (for bridging) and hook up
> these
> axis handlers with the transaction manager in the same way portable
> interceptors are used with RMI/IIOP. This should work for both in
> coming
> (ws->ejb) and out going (ejb->ws) invocations.
>
> As a first step, I'm trying to setup a tm at the client end (a simple
> Java
> program) and invoke an ejb with a tx-context. I also do NOT want to
> use any
> container specific scripts (like the appclient of Sun J2EE RI) at the
> client
> end since these could cause problems later when trying to integrate
> with
> axis.
>
> Can u guys suggest a tm and a J2EE container for this. I tried
> JOTM/JOnAS
> and JOTM/JBoss and neither seems to work.

Can you please explain how many vms are involved in your scenario and
where the transaction control resides? If you are running axis in a
different vm from geronimo can you please explain why? If you need to
import transactions I suggest you consider using the jca 1.5 mechanism
using WorkManager/ExecutionContext and XATerminator.  This is already
implemented and appears (with limited unit testing) to work.

Propagation of transactions between  vms is not yet implemented but
will (IMO) make use of the networking layer and the same transaction
import facilities as the jca 1.5 implementation.

> I was able to build TyRex1.0.1 on jdk1.4 after fixing some jdbc
> classes. Has
> anyone had a look at its (TyRex's) OTS impl? (the tyrex.corba package)
> Does
> it work at all? for example tyrex.corba.Current uses ORBInitInfo
> object even
> after ORB initialization which is illegal. Is there a later version in
> which
> these have been fixed?

I do not recommend tyrex.

thanks